Big visit Northern Ireland sign at Dublin airport

ney001

Whilst collecting the parents from Dublin Airport on Saturday, I couldn't help but wonder why the entire arrivals doors/wall is taken up with a Visit Northern Ireland sign from the NI Tourist Board. Surely we should be encouraging tourism in the South, rather then telling people on arrival to head off to Northern Ireland??. Is there some kind of sponsorship deal or something?

Struck me as a bit strange!

I guess it should be noted that if you're at the airport as a visitor, it's a bit late to advertise visiting here as you're either just arriving or leaving after a visit.

I guess it should be noted that if you're at the airport as a visitor, it's a bit late to advertise visiting here as you're either just arriving or leaving after a visit.

Agreed, but surely you could put visit Kerry or something. Just seems a little strange when the government is trying to stop people going over the border to shop and they have a big visit Northern Ireland sign in Dublin airport. I wonder does Belfast have a big Visit Dublin sign at arrivals?

Dunno if it's still there, but there used to be a sign in Kinnegad reminding motorists to 'Drive on Left, Conduire a Gauche'....if they got that far from Dublin Airport, I don't think they needed a sign

Dunno if it's still there, but there used to be a sign in Kinnegad reminding motorists to 'Drive on Left, Conduire a Gauche'....if they got that far from Dublin Airport, I don't think they needed a sign

In Cork airport, they had "Drive on Left, Coduire a Droite"!

But seriously, I am sure the NI Tourist Board has to pay for the sign in the airport, just as any agency can do the same.

We can't start restricting adverts based on Government economic policy. No airlines should advertise as the Govt owns shares in Aer Lingus? Don't advertise Aircoach as Dublin Bus / Bus Eireann is semi-state?

Is it on paid poster advertising spots though? where (almost) anything could be advertised, rather than the DAA giving up wall space for NI Tourism.
NI Tourism must be spending a lot of money these day as its quite frequent to see and hear ads promoting the region over various media, understandable really as they have just come out of a period where Tourism into the area was negligable. I imagine we are not far off reaching a point where there is cross border co-operation with Ireland being promoted as a Tourist destination along the lines of the Food Safety Authority and Road Safety and so on.

Sign is still there - and it was erected in late 90's by the parents of someone killed by a tourist who reverted to their normal driving habits after a turn and ended up driving on the rhs if I remember correctly.