Big house longer commute or smaller house shorter commute

Annie71

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this.

We are looking to buy at the moment and two houses have caught my eye. One in Terenure/Kimmage (Terenure is postal address but looks to be at least as close to Kimmage) - about 1,800 sq feet and nice large garden. The other is Milltown under 1,000 sq feet and smaller garden. Both are affordable in terms of asking price (Milltown one has a lower asking price but I think it is priced to sell/garner interest looking a the register for similar houses).

We work in Clonskeagh and our kids go to school in Ballsbridge, so Milltown is super in terms of location for us. Friends who live in Terenure love it and say that the commute is doable (kids in same school). However, any time I have been to Terenure the traffic has been very heavy and I hate being stuck in traffic. Also, hubby cycles everywhere as he really hates traffic.

What do people think - smaller house (which could only be made bigger by converting the attic or having little or no garden) or suck it up on the commute (which could be anything from 30 mins to over an hour)?

Or hold out in the hope that something comes along within budget that is less of a compromise in terms of handiness of location and size.

Thanks,

A

Where do you live at the moment and what size is your home? What is your reason for moving? How many children have you and what age? It's a personal choice so your own experience and outlook are the most important factors.

Hi guys,

We previously rented in Milltown (three bed house, nice garden and dreadful kitchen), but are back in our Celtic Tiger two bed apartment for the last few months (landlord gave notice as was she was moving back in) as saving to buy. We have all of our ducks in a row now with regard mortgage approval, deposit etc. We have two boys aged 8 and 10 - one of whom is very into football and being out and about. His brother is more into computers, so once there is decent Wifi he's happy. Still, he would enjoy a nice garden.

In an ideal world, I'd love a spacious house (4 or 5 bed) with a nice large garden. But not having a commute of any substance is very attractive as well. I've been googling attic conversions as I think that would be the only way that would make the Milltown house work in terms of space over the long term. The boys are only going to get bigger and need more of their own space.

I'm also keen for us not to be too long in the apartment - it's a really nice apartment but I miss having the outside space and just more space.

I'll be looking at the Milltown house on Saturday, so hopefully will have a better idea then.

Thanks

A

Ive lived in Terenure all my life and went to school in Ballsbridge and later in UCD. Ive also spent the majoirty of my career working in Ballsbridge.

The commute isnt too bad at all especially if you take the back roads. If driving, leaving the house at 7.30am used to see in school and work (both more or less on Ailesbury road) by 8am.

Personally i love Terenure, you would be hard pushed to get me to move to any other area.

When you say Kimmage, what road are you referring to ?

Hi OP,

What aspects are the back gardens in both houses? Ditto for main road proximity etc?

Firefly.

Hi Pugmister,

It's Hazelbrook Road. On the map it looked to be quite close to Kimmage.

Bit of walking involved, but the bus commute per Transport for Ireland is about 42-52 mins door to door (boys' school). Drive would be less (about 20 mins I think) in theory but that would be traffic dependent.

If there is a decent cycle path between Terenure and Ballsbridge the boys could cycle in future - I'm a bit nervous of them (and me) cycling if there isn't one.

The garden aspects are South Westerly Milltown and Westerly Terenure. Milltown house in an estate off the Milltown road, the Terenure one is close to Lower Kimmage road.

My friend said the same thing about Terenure - she and her family love it there!

A

The garden aspects are South Westerly Milltown and Westerly Terenure. Milltown house in an estate off the Milltown road, the Terenure one is close to Lower Kimmage road.

South Westerly is about the best you can get, but Westerly is fine too.
Assuming your jobs will remain in Clonskeagh, I would personally go for Milltown.

Hazelbrook Road is Terenure and is a very very quiet residential road. On the outskirts of Terenure in terms of access to the village etc but only a short walk. Some lovely houses and plenty of opportunity to renovate if you needed down the road (i think a number of renovations are underway at present judging from vans parked on the road).

If driving from Hazelbrook to Ballsbridge, you would be taking a right turn up Aideen avenue and then cutting through all the back roads until you eventually pop out on the main Ranelagh road. If you leave before 7.30 and follow this route you will encounter no traffic whatsoever 99% of the time.

I currently cycle to work and go via the Kimmage Road into Harolds cross turning right onto the canal and straight down to Ballsbridge, takes about 15 to 20 mins. There are cycle paths the whole way but i would be a little wary about letting younger children cycle around Harolds Cross park area up to the Harolds Cross bridge as it can be a bit of free for all especially with a load of rad users not understanding the new bus lane system.

Thanks guys! This whole house hunting for the forever home is stressful and exciting all at the same time. Great to have a forum to get some insights!

Screw the kids and do what you want :).

In all seriousness, what your heart wants plays a roll in it. As Gordon mentioned it is not a massively different commute, which makes it easier. There is also a long term view, the kids at 8/10 could be out of the house to college in 10 years, will you need all the space then? Do you want this to be a forever home where your sons can bring their families to for christmas etc.

1,000 sq ft / 92m does seem a bit small for a 4 person family unless it has very efficient use of space.

With the kids ages (8 & 10) do you know where they'll be going to secondary school yet? That could be a big issue for consideration.

I have to say, we've just moved to Ranelagh, having previously been in Dalkey and the 10 minute cycle to work that I now have is bliss. I'd go for shorter commute myself.

What impact might Bus Connects have on the bus journey from Terenure to Clonskeagh or on driving post Bus Connects?

With the kids ages (8 & 10) do you know where they'll be going to secondary school yet? That could be a big issue for consideration.

I have to say, we've just moved to Ranelagh, having previously been in Dalkey and the 10 minute cycle to work that I now have is bliss. I'd go for shorter commute myself.

What impact might Bus Connects have on the bus journey from Terenure to Clonskeagh or on driving post Bus Connects?

What was rational for moving from Dalkey (side track)? I am currently in Ballsbridge and considering a move down to Dalkey / Killiney / Bray area.

It's Hazelbrook Road. On the map it looked to be quite close to Kimmage.

As Pugmister says, only a short walk to Terenure. I reckon I've viewed that house :) If you haven't viewed yet, when you do take a close look at the angle of the side wall, and consider how that might impact on any plans you might have for reconfiguration.

Both great locations. If it was one or the other I would go with location over house. I would make sure that the attic conversion was a runner before doing anything.

There are a few compromise locations in the middle that would offer you a larger house than the Milltown one with a larger garden with less of a commute than the Terenure house. Historically very few houses get put on the market in December/January so you should have more choice in early Spring.

Thanks guys. Their school is a primary and secondary so all going well and them remaining happy there, they will continue on there.

I would like a bit of space (but could be the effect of living in the apartment for the last few months). This could also be behind my eagerness to get moving!

I need to look into the whole Bus Connects thing - I've no idea how it will impact!

Thanks Leo - I'm waiting on the estate agent to get back to me so have only seen it on their website so far.

South Westerly is about the best you can get, but Westerly is fine too.
Just on the garden, if it is Westerly but narrow with high hedges, you probably won't get much sun until later in the evening. This might's be a deal-breaker for you but having a bright, sunny back garden is a big plus IMO.

Also, get confirmation that if the house has a sun-room, its size is not included in the square footage of the house, or better yet, take your own measurements.

I'd go for ease of access over size every time. Unless you have a massive garden for sports, your kids will be elsewhere. Or you love to garden yourself. I moved from a 40-50 Mon dart commute to a 25 min walk/10 min cycle and I'd highly recommend getting that time back in your day!!

Back