Big chain store or smaller local shop

Bubbly Scot

Needing to kit out my new (to me) house I was faced with the choice..order from the bigger retail park based stores, or pop down to the local furniture/electrical shop.

Have to say, on this occassion, your local man wins hands down. Competitive prices, free delivery AND delivery dates ranging from "tomorrow, no problem" to "I'll try for tomorrow but otherwise it'll be Saturday"

You just can't complain about that. I got a discount in one shop without even asking, all the advice I could ever need about matresses in another and with each one I was able to give specific instructions regarding delivery to the person who would be overseeing it personally.

The larger shops have their place definatly but right now, I'm pretty impressed with the local ones.

Just so this thread from my tired, over shopped brain can have some meaning. Discuss.

(still waiting with baited breath for Ikea....well there will be times when we won't be needing things "tomorrow")

Well I would not expect the world when Ikea come to town. I will guarentee you that their prices will be way higher than the UK & elsewhere. Would not be surprised if it would not still pay to buy abroad & ship to Ireland.

I went into Bargaintown with a few grand to spend and came out with practically the whole shop including beds for all three rooms, all bedroom furniture (for the 3 rooms), laminate flooring, carpets for 3 bedrooms and hall stairs and landings, kitchen table and 6 chairs, a bar, 2 stools, mirrors etc...

All the stuff is still quality, I couldn't recommend the place more.

I got a discount on every item I bought and then a few hundred euro more knocked off the price for cash with everything delivered on a day that suited me.

The best bit of advice I got was buy absolutely NOTHING unless it's on sale or special offer.