Bidding on house with "granny flat"

CD2005

Hi,

I'm thinking on bidding on a house, which i know fairly well from being from the area which has a "granny flat" - converted shed in the back garden, i'm not too sure if they have gotton planning permission for this and think they are including the converted shed in the price.
Should they have permission?, the shed was built prior to them moving in but they converted it in recent years to a livable space.
How do i go about checking if it'll be a problem?
Thanks

When bidding (or before bidding) ask the Estate Agent specifically:

1. Does the granny flat have p.p.? Can you see it? Is there an Architects Opinion on Compliance?
2. Is there an Architects Opinion on Compliance with Building Regulations?

If no, then what evidence do they have that p.p. not required?

Also, talk to your solicitor now. Talk to whoever will do your survey if you are successful - ideally an Architect who is clear on domestic planning issues.

mf

CD2005 said:
...has a "granny flat" - converted shed in the back garden, i'm not too sure if they have gotton planning permission for this

They may not have to get PP for it... See following extracted from OASIS website

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:
  • Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)
But I do not know if the fact that it is not "attached" to main house make a difference or not.

If the shed is separate to the house then it cannot be a granny flat. Granny Flats must form part of the house.

Furthermore, it is very highly unlikely that permission would be granted for a second residence on the property (which the granny flat would constitute if it is separate to the house).

The shed will not be exempt from planning which would cover extensions - 40 sq. m. subject to certain criteria etc. as it is separate. So Planning Permission is almost certainly required (there is also an exemption for Garages under 25 sq. m. - subject to certain criteria).

Start asking questions now.

Back