Bidding on an eBay item with a reserve

Becca

If, for example, an item on eBay has a reserve of €200 but with a starting price of just €10. Only two people bid on the item i.e. bidders "A" and "B". Each of these two bidders place just one bid each.

Bidder "A" bids with a maximum bid of €100, which means the current bid would be €10.

Then bidder "B" bids with a maximum bid of €210

Does this mean the current bid would therefore rise only to one bid above the €100? (probably €105)

So even though bidder "B" has bid with a maximum bid of more than the reserve since no-one else has bid against bidder "B" to push the current offer up to the reserve, bidder "B" would not secure the item.

Is this correct?

yup, think so.

In such a case, the buyer would be best served contacting the seller and asking what the reserve is. If it's not already relisted.

Thanks for the link.

It states...
Bidding on eBay works via an automated proxy bidding system. You enter your maximum bid and eBay bids on your behalf an amount just high enough to beat the reserve price (if the seller has set a reserve) or to beat the high bidder's maximum bid, whichever is higher. Your maximum amount is kept confidential from other bidders and the seller. The system never places a bid for you which is higher than your maximum bid.
So, unless I have interpreted this incorrectly, it appears to indicate that in the example I gave in my first post bidder 'B' would secure the item as eBay would automatically push their bid up to meet the reserve since there was not another bidder offering enough to push bidder 'B's bid up to the reserve.

So maybe it's not funny afterall...........

It can be head wrecking when you have the money and are trying to buy something, but bureaucracy/technology get in the way.

It can be head wrecking when you have the money and are trying to buy something, but bureaucracy/technology get in the way.
Stick to eBay "Buy It Now" sales if bidding wrecks your head. I do because I can't be bothered with the auction process for most things that I tend to buy on eBay.

Back