Bicycles on dublin bus/luas etc

whistler

Hi
This site is a godsend and so informative.
I need your help. I am travelling to Holyhead tomorrow via Irish Ferries with my friend for a cycling break. Just booked it now at short notice.

We need to get to Dublin Port from the Stillorgan area with our bikes. Can we use any form of public transport with them or will we have to put our bicycle clips on and cycle there?

Please help as I'm trying to work out the times we have to leave etc.

Thank you
Whistler

Hi

I've witnessed an inspector ask an adult and child to get off the tram because they had the child's bike with them. Even if the tram isn't busy and there aren't any inspectors....two adult bikes plus lugggage and a deadline. I wouldn't recommend it.

No bikes allowed on Dublin Bus, Luas or DART. You might get away with a fold-up (Brompton and the like) but that's probably not much use to you. A former colleague of mine used to bring one on the DART but most people simply didn't know what it was.

The aircoach goes from Stillorgan and heads up O'Connell St - you could cycle from there. It normally only takes passengers to the airport - I'm not sure if they're allowed to take passengers only as far as O'Connell St.

I have seen people put bicycles in the aircoach baggage area (and surboards and gold clubs etc).

Alternatively, would they (and you) fit in a wheelchair taxi (one of the 7-seater ones)?

Of course, I'm probably too late with my response!

Back