Biarritz,France

joer

Hi all.
Can someone give me some information on Biarritz. Is it a very expensive place for one weeks holiday in September.Apart from Hotels, is it very expensive to eat out .

Thanks a lot

Biarritz is ,from my few visits there, no dearer than any other popular French resort -which ,if you are careful, is still cheaper than staying in Ireland. By "careful" I mean, for example, choosing plat de jour menus. You can eat a decent two course lunch for under a tenner and if you avoid the obviously deluxe restaurants you can have a fine dinner for well under twenty. (and there's always Macdonalds!)
Unfortunately, and this has always surprised me, when drinking wine in French restaurants you may pay nearly as much as in an irish restaurants even if you're surroudned by vine yards.
Local transport is good and cheap - neighbouring Bayonne 20 mins away -worth a days visit - is slightly cheaper to eat/stay. St jean de Luz 30 mins south on teh copast is to some people the nicest town on that coast. Again, eating on sea promenade restuarants is always dearer -but, i repeat, cheaper than here.

In 45 mins you're in Spain - San sebastian . Slightly cheaper than france.

Anyway september is a good time to avoid crowds and high hotel prices.
Slight chance of rain,though

Thanks Oldnick

Some very helpful information as i have never been to the South of France before but always heard how very expensive it was.
It is really worth considering for a visit.

Definitely a great place for a week in September. We went there a few years ago and had a wonderful time. We stayed in a village called Bidart which is a few miles south of Biarritz. All public bus journeys were €2, to virtually anywhere locally. Train to San Sebastian very cheap. Fab place to spend a day. Bidart is on the coast and there was a fantastic restaurant on the beach there, especially if you like seafood.

Went there in June spent 3 days in Biarritz and 3 in St Jean de Luz. Def. preferred St Jean - more atmosphere. Its about 10 mins by train (just across the bay). Prices are average it really depends on whether you go a bit upmarket or not! Trip advisor has restaurant reviews. We had a few meals in places where the set menu was less than twenty euro for three courses and some much more expensive places. You will get an idea when you see the outside tables filling up fast (a good place with a great atmosphere). People are v friendly in both places. Basque area so a lot of Spanish type food Great surfing , lovely walks along cliff paths

Been there a few times, always stayed in campsites. Really love St Jean de Luz, best town around. When you think of South of France most people mean the mediterranean coast Nice etc which is the extortion end of the market.

The south west is more normal.

Back