Beware - UK air travel tax doubles from Feb 1st

gdf

The flight tax charges for hubbing through UK airports will double from Feb 1st. Air passenger duty will rise from £5 to £10 for economy-seat passengers taking domestic and European short-haul flights, and from £20 to £40 for economy-seat travellers on long-haul flights.
This will add €150 to a round trip longhaul flight from Ireland via any UK airport.

Yes - it's and increase in duty or Government tax announced by Gordon Brown on 6 December.

BA are not recovering the increased tax on flights booked and paid for prior to December 12. However, Ryanair and Easyjet are collecting the increased tax on all tickets booked before December 7 for travel after February 1st. Ryanair propose to charge the increase to the credit card upon which the flight was reserved - refer to the notice on their web site.

MOL said on british tv yesterday that anyone who booked previous to the increase and who DIDNT pay the difference would not be allowed to fly. which brought me back to Dr M's post on people who think they have cracked the code for free ryanair flights without going through the qualifying conditions. I would safely say they have no change going by Ryanairs stance on this extra charge.

MOL said on british tv yesterday that anyone who booked previous to the increase and who DIDNT pay the difference would not be allowed to fly. which brought me back to Dr M's post on people who think they have cracked the code for free ryanair flights without going through the qualifying conditions. I would safely say they have no change going by Ryanairs stance on this extra charge.

I am surprised I haven't heard anymore about this. Everyone I know seems to be going away with Ryanair in the next few weeks for free (or think they are). The mistake must be costing them a fortune. I hope when they release their passenger yield figures for this quarter they will be explaining why it is so high!!

What are Aer lingus doing about this? Are they charging like RyanAir? I find it hard to believe that they can retrospectively charge extra money to people's credit card without their permission. After all when you buy your flights you agree on a price and enter into a contract, is it legal to alter the terms without the agreement of both parties?

First, only flights going through the UK are affected. This isn't about Ryanair's bottom line. It's about making passengers feel the pain so that further increases are politically difficult.

The cost of collecting an additional £5 (£10 return) hardly makes it worthwhile. Ryanair could afford to absorb this for already booked flights, as they are doing on the 'free' flights at the moment.

They seem to have built it into the "1c fare" to Bristol I bought last Saturday 13th (return; Feb. 1st/3rd).
PAYMENT DETAILS
*********1.00 EUR Adult
********25.01 EUR Taxes,Fees & Charges
*********5.54 EUR Aviation / WCHR Levy
*********0.00 EUR Car Rental
*********0.00 EUR Insurance
********31.55 EUR Total Paid
Still cheaper than a one-way train ticket from Limerick to Dublin, though... :rolleyes:

yes air travel tax is doubled and now you will find the air ticket more expensive now.

yes air travel tax is doubled and now you will find the air ticket more expensive now.

It's over 4 years since this thread was started and I have just booked a ticket from London Sanstead to Cork for €4 + €5 admin charge, courtesy of Michael O'Leary, thanks Michael....... :)

Similar taxes have been springing up in other countries as well. I know that Germany has started to apply a pretty hefty departure tax from €8 for short flights and up to €45 for inter-continental flights. They might be forced to reconsider this if/ when airlines start cancelling routs to German airports or their tourism industry is affected.

Back