Betting 101

TarfHead

I'm thinking of placing a bet on the Champion Hurdle today. I'm sure it won't win but sentiment (loose family connection to trainer) makes me want to put a lucky fiver on each-way.

Bookie is paying out for first 4. I've looked though website and can't find detail on how the payout decreases based on place.

Keeping the numbers simple, how would a €10 stake placed at 10/1 each way pay out for each of the first 4 finishers ?

It doesnt decrease, placed odds are the same whether the horse is 2nd or 4th.
Depending on whether the bookie is paying 1/4 or 1/5 of the odds. A 10e bet would pay as follows at 10/1

say its 1/4 the odds for each way
1st = 135e (10x10 for win + 10x 1/4 for place + stake back)
2nd/3rd/4th place = 35e (10x 1/4for place + stake back)

hope thats as clear as mud. Lemme guess, al eile? Brave inca is who you want.

car said:
hope thats as clear as mud. Lemme guess, al eile? Brave inca is who you want.

Clear as mud ? No
Scary ? Yes

I didn't name the horse.
I didnt name the trainer.
I didn't use the quoted odds.
There are 18 runners.

You guessed correctly - 16 if you exclude the obvious two.

In this example you would get your full stake back so 1st = 145e.

bloody maths... no wonder I dont make any money at the nags.. 145 is correct

al eile is a value bet in this one, its been hovering about 10/1 for the last couple of weeks. Has a chance alright, but I would say theres more a scream then a whisper going round ireland for hardy eustace in this at around 6/1 but if I was going e/w for value Id take al eile too, but Im not, brave inca to win at 2/1 if you can get it. my banker today.
based on my above <ahem> sums Im not sure how confident I am now tho.

my 4 for today if anyone wants.

sweet wake in the first.

and then an AP treble
brave inca in the hurdle
moulin riche 4:00
ouste in the last

theyre all favorites but all deservedly so (IMO)

I've gone for the following -

O'Muircheartaigh @ 10 - 1 /ew
Al Eile @ 7 - 1 e/w
Dun Doire @ 11 - 2 e/w

TarfHead said:
I'm thinking of placing a bet on the Champion Hurdle today. I'm sure it won't win but sentiment (loose family connection to trainer) makes me want to put a lucky fiver on each-way.

A fool and his money are easily parted.
.. and I'm the fool !

A fool and his money are easily parted.
.. and I'm the fool !

dunno what youre talking about. cmon mcoy treble!!!!

car said:
dunno what youre talking about.

I backed Al Eile each-way. Paddypower aren't paying, apparently, for 4th. I've queried it with them cos their site infers/suggests that they do pay down to 4th but my bet shows as a loss.

To paraphrase the earlier cliche, 'a bookie and his money are seldom parted'

would you have posted that if you had won money? If not a regular backer of horses then the odd punt should be regarded as a bit of fun and no more serious then if you were throwing 2p into the slots when on holidays. If you're taking that as a bad beat and have a gripe about it then the loss is probably the best thing that could have happened. A win on someones first(ish) attempt at backing horses is how most get hooked.

dun doire wins the 4pm, puts the mockers on me AP treble. Evens for the day then with a single on ouste in the last.

car said:
If you're taking that as a bad beat and have a gripe about it then the loss is probably the best thing that could have happened.

As a newbie to this type of 'exotic' betting, I had assumed that a bet placed each-way in the context "Each way odds 1/4 places 1,2,3,4" would return something when the horse finishes 4th.

I don't believe I'm a sore loser - just a tad confused. I've been gifting money to paddypower for years for football, GAA & rugby bets, but they were all straightforward.

It's the each-way dimension that has me uncertain, consistent with my opening post. And this is not a paddypower bashing post. I'd say that when they do respond to my query, their answer will stand up.

sorry, i wasnt saying you were PP bashing, just thought you were more bashing horsey betting in general from what looked like someones first bet on a horse. dont give up.. theres another 3 days to go. Id still take ouste in the last. If you put 10 ew on al eile youre 20 down already. ouste might be around 4s. Put a fiver on to win, that'll give you 25 if it wins so youre even on the day but only 25 instead of 20 down if it doesnt. Thats what i would consider value and a "get out" or "saver" bet.. Im only 1 from 3 today though so its up to yourself.

exotic betting...loveit.. i didnt think that a handicap could be e/w but as per MY earlier post, my knowledge of e/w betting aint what it should be either.

I'll get me coat.

car said:
.. i didnt think that a handicap could be e/w..
FWIW - response from paddypower.

"In order for a race to pay 4 places it must be a Handicap of 16 or more runners. The Champion Hurdle is not a Handicap race therefore it only paid Each Way 3 places .."

I'll put it down to experience