Best woodstain for panel garden fencing.

baguio2007

I have panel fencing in the back garden (ie. the stuff thats common as muck that goes into most new estates these days). Its been up a year and I think I should probably treat it - so that it might last a bit longer. Whats the best wood preservative for the job?

I have access to one of those paint sprayer machines. Can I run this stuff through one of those?

I think Ronseal do one that you can spray. Just be careful with the colours. I got one in my last house, red cedar or something like that and to say it was a bit bright was a bit of an understatment.

What it says on the tin isn't always what you get in the tin when it comes to garden products. MandaC is right and the Ronseal range is a disaster when it comes to picking out the colour.

I use Ronseal decking stain Golden Cedar for my panels, shed and fence and you get a nice brown colour much like the day it was put in.

Anyone else aware of any other product out there other than cresote that will preserve the wood?

Stay away from creosote anyway, if you can even get it any more. There's quite a bit of legislation covering its use due to the number of carcinogens it contains.
Leo

I have access to one of those paint sprayer machines. Can I run this stuff through one of those?

Can I ask was the paint sprayer machine any good? I have this fencing front and back and it needs a paint. I was thinking of buying one of the paint sprayers but wondering was it as easy as the ad on telly suggested.

... Whats the best wood preservative for the job?...
Your post and the title reflect a common confusion regarding outside timber:

1) Wood-stain is colourant, it won't preserve wood (it may say "protects" on the tin, that's not the same as "preserves")

2) Wood-preservative preserves wood.

For rough-sawn timber (fences, fence-panels, garden sheds, etc.) I use Brand-X Clear Wood Preservative, no dye.

For painting, I use a wood stain / colour that's compatible with the preservative.
...I have access to one of those paint sprayer machines. Can I run this stuff through one of those?
Some colour / wood-stains can be sprayed, I don't know if preservatives can - check what it says on the tins!