Best website for booking New York accommodation?

Bluebean

hi all,

Can anyone tell me where is the best place for booking a hotel in New York for mid-November?

Hotels seem to be scarily expensive over there

Anyone got any personal recommendations that won't break the bank?

thanks.

We recently used hotwire.com and priceline.co.uk for booking a trip to Boston & New England. Both sites were recommended by colleagues at work and there was positive feedback on AAM.

We got a 4* hotel in Downtown Boston on a Sat night for $100, whereas the guidebook was telling us $300!

With both websites, you must enter your credit card details first and you blind book (i.e. you don't know which hotel you have gotten until after you have boooked).

hmm, not sure I like the idea of 'blind' booking. Can you specify the quality (star rating) of accommodation you want?

What about apartments, is it possible to rent an apartment nightly? I've googled a few of them but again, looking for first hand experience.

Yes you can specify the standard of accommodation you want along with the general geographic location. If you do a search on hotwire or priceline for "condos" they are the equivalent of apartments and you can get a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom.

You also don't have to input your credit card details if you are an ebay user as they do accept paypal which is great peace of mind.

I also used hotwire recently and got a 3* hotel in the area I wanted (not in NYC but in the US) for $49 per night, exclusive of taxes. The same hotel was on special offer via an irish travel agent for over triple the price.

Check out www.betterbidding.com for further details on using these 2 accommodation booking sites.

you could try http://www.hotels.com (www.hotels.com) or I've booked on both of them before and have saved quite a bit

Check hotel reviews on

I found the Hilton Embasssy Suites near Ground Zero through this site.... excellent suites at reasonable prices.

myself and a few friends just came back from new york and stayed in self -catering apartments with great location right at the bottom of central park. it worked out to be great value between the four of us. check out [broken link removed]

And of course you wouldn't happen to be affiliated with this company in anyway.......

Those prices are hideously expensive by the way.

Another priceline fan here (I have used hotwire in the past and liked it but find I can get better deals on priceline).

We got the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station in NYC for $120 a night instead of $295.

Priceline is a little scary at first, check out www.betterbidding.com for tips and ideas on how and where to bid.

For NYC we only bid on 4* (too many dodgy places included in the 3* ranking) in Midtown East. It can only be the Hyatt or the Intercontinental - both perfect.

Good luck!

Check the booking sites to get an idea of price and location that suits you. But also check direct on the websites of any of the hotels who have one, as they often have specials.

Last summer I got Fitzpatrick's Manhattan direct for much much less than any of the booking agents were offering.