Best way to transfer Euros to UK bank

Germaine

Can anyone advise?

I've looked at transfermate and set up an account but I'm not comfortable with doing it myself on a website.

Any companies where you can deal with a real person or am I living in the dark ages?

It's a very large sum of money from house sale. Thanks.

Look at Torfx and if you want a number or name I can pm. Its very very good. I actually get calls occasionally. Waiting just now for that pound to surge!!

Last edited:
If it's a significant amount of money, the bank you deal with will quote you a rate for the transaction, which is more competitive than retail transfers.
It won't be as cheap as some of the fintech companies, but you might be more comfortable dealing with them.

If it's a significant amount of money, the bank you deal with will quote you a rate for the transaction, which is more competitive than retail transfers.
It won't be as cheap as some of the fintech companies, but you might be more comfortable dealing with them.
The bank (Ulster Bank) told me I could transfer it online in multitudes of 25k, with no reduction in the set currency exchange. I'm not a financial person but even I knew this was not a good option.

The bank (Ulster Bank) told me I could transfer it online in multitudes of 25k, with no reduction in the set currency exchange. I'm not a financial person but even I knew this was not a good option.
I'm surprised that's the only option they provided. With BOI they will quote for any transfer over 70,000

Another option is to check with the UK bank how much they charge to receive Euro, and the FX spreads they use.

It sounds like whatever solution you have, you might still have an issue with the 25k transfer limit with Ulster Bank?

I just transferred a small amount to my UK bank on line. I wanted to send £200 to which my Irish bank charge €235 exchange, what surprised me was that the UK bank charge £7 for the transaction even though it was £sterling

UK banks love bank charges.

If you call transfermate they can be very helpful. AIB are a substantial investor in the company and you'll only hear good things about them

I am trying to do the same. I used transfermate previously, but as I have not used them recently they will only do amounts over 100k. Any suggestions of how to do a euro to GBP transfer quickly.

I am trying to do the same. I used transfermate previously, but as I have not used them recently they will only do amounts over 100k. Any suggestions of how to do a euro to GBP transfer quickly.
I use Revolut. Free card (but you pay for delivery) , transfers/conversions between various currencies are easy. You can also use the card in EUR. I exchange EUR for STG and then transfer to destination account.

Back