Best way to take up carpet - glued down.

eiregal

Does anyone know what's the best way to take up old carpet which has been glued down? It seems when it was originally laid years ago that they put large amounts of the glue around the edges as the middle parts are coming up much easier. We're laying wooden floors instead so need to get it all up. Any suggestions?

Thanks for that. Did a search but it didn't bring up that thread. No easy solution it seems :(

Had same problem. No easy solution - there are some chemical solutions you can get to try and loosen the glue first but it will still require some elbow grease.
Toxic free you can use a flat garden tool such as a spade or something. I did a whole apartment once using a scrapper - my hands were raw afterwards. Asked in a few hardware and carpet shops - best answer seemed to be the spade.
Enjoy.

Encountered a similar problem a while back.
It took brute strength to remove carpet.
In some stubborn places, we used a chunk of wood as leverage, wrapping it around the carpet, and then kind of peeling the carpet away from the floor. Still hard work though.

As previous posters said elbow grease is your only man. I had to take up both a partially glued and partially nailed down carpet so it was an eye opener to see how the older carpets were laid. Strips of carpet stitched together was common in our old house. Best of luck whatever you do.

Thanks for the replies. We have most of it up now. It was glued down onto concrete. There's just one strip along one wall that's stuck, there's just no moving it. The top part of the carpet has come up but has left a coating on the glue underneath. Hopefully a few more hours of elbow grease will get it up.

By the way, we used a crowbar to help get it up.

get one of the heavy duty floor scrapers that builders use to clean concrete floors etc - i had one cleaning off my floors and they're great - long handle, real heavy duty and a blade as sharp as a chisel on it - it will put up with any punishment and is a bit more precise that a spade!

Back