Best way to recover from credit problems

dsouth

Hi,

I'm separating at the moment, house is about to be sold - no mortgage, was 100% funded on an inheritance.

Ex quit working many years ago when inheritance came through, refused to allow me access to cash however and in order to pay essential bills I was forced to rely on credit cards which were manageable until I lost my job to redundancy.

Unknown to me however ex had a full-time secret profession as a chronic gambler, the figures I know of so far would have bought another house.

I meanwhile have worked with banks to pay off credit cards and have agreements in place, by the end of May I will be paying just €100 monthly on problem debt to one of the main banks for the next few years to clear the credit card debit finally although I hope to clear sooner. I have also taken out and paid back a loan ahead of time with credit union, a second one taken out recently which is ahead on payment - just to try build up some sort of proof that I'm not reckless with money - this is currently just €200 per month.

Question is, I'll hopefully have 150k from sale of house after expenses to put towards a mortgage and I need to figure out what are my best options moving forward to try make myself a candidate for a mortgage. I'm self-employed too which I know doesn't help, income will increase though once the last of my court dates is out of the way this summer so I've got to start planning the future financially now.

Any advice would be welcome.

The first port of call for any bank will be your ICB record. Given what you have said I suspect your credit rating is not good so you will have to wait six years for the record to be cleared. You can get a copy of your record for a few euro if you want to check.

Could you clear all your debt with the sale proceeds?

At least it would give you a clean slate?

mf

Back