Best way to paint wet dash walls

Ceist Beag

Has anyone any experience in painting wet dash (or rough dash) walls? We're looking to whitewash our walls ourselves but not sure what is the best way to go about it - would this be a job best left to experts?

It's very, very time-consuming if done by hand. I did a small surface once (about 6' x 18') with a fairly long-haired brush, and it took three times as much paint and about ten times as long as I'd reckoned... :eek:

If you've a large surface to cover, I'd suggest getting a pro in — unless you want to end up with a right arm like Popeye's! ;)

Airless spray is the most effective (time and material wise) way to paint wet dash, so a professional painter will probably be your best bet.

You could buy a relatively inexpensive electric paint sprayer in most if not all DIY shops.

Done properly, it will do the job of a professional, at a fraction of the price. Any DIY'er could handle the job.

Thanks for that lads. I'll get a few quotes and compare that with the cost and effort of doing it ourselves (purchasing a paint sprayer to do) and take it from there. Would prefer to do it ourselves if we can though as it's probably something we'll need to repeat every number of years due to the nature of whitewashed walls getting dirty easier!

If you do consider purchasing a sprayer and doing it yourself just be aware that the typical DIY sprayer is inclined to use a lot more paint and is not as economical as an airless sprayer. Airless sprayers are expensive and are tedious to clean.

Back