Best way to install 130mm oak floor upstairs & downstairs newly build house

Juliel

We have decided on 130 solid oak flooring for both upstairs and downstairs for our newly build house and have ordered it but my question is should we float the floors with the foil backed underlay, or glue them down? I understand it really can't be glued down upstairs. We are receiving conflicting info, and would appreciate any advise or details of peoples experiences with this

When we replaced our bathroom we had an oak floor which was secret nailed. Forgive me if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs, but the secret nailing is done into the groove of the 130mm boards and then the next board is inserted. No nailheads can be seen and it looks a great job.

You are probably aware that the boards need to acclimatise in your new house before that are fitted; I am sure that Carpenter will be able to provide advice on duration.

BillK

Type elastilon into and watch the video. It is a new system of glueing flooring. Advantage is that it can be put directly onto level concrete. Good but a little pricy

the best way to install your flooring is to nail to a plywood sub-floor. i can not understand the love affair flooring installers here in ireland have with floating solid wood flooring. using a new product like elastion is also risky, your solid floor is also just floating on a plastic membrane over your concrete slab. i would advise you to use a professional floor installer,someone who has the knowledge and experience,able to measure moisture content in sub-floor and flooring, able to frame out plywood sub-floor and able to rack out your flooring and install it properly. pm if you need more info

Nailing to ply on the ground floor is the only way to go especially with wide board

what about putting a 2x1batten and nailing onto that, it might give more air circulation and b easier to put down,? or would ply b better than battens?

My reason for favouring ply is that you can nail away to your hearts content without restriction. Also ply can be good at levelling out any dips or hollows in the sub floor.

Back