Best way to get to Oz - Middle East or Singapore

K

kingkenny

Hi all,
I'm hoping to go to Oz for about 3 weeks next September, and would like your feedback/advice/tips on the best way to get there. Currently looking at 2 options:
(a) travel via Dubai/Abu Dabi with Emirates/Etihad. Currently this option is about €400 cheaper than option 2 (obviously a big plus). However the duration of the 2 leg flight is about 7 and then 16 hours. The second half is very long so wonder if I will be shattered when i get to Oz. Have never flown with either and have seen mixed reviews. Anyone used either?
(b) travel with Singapore Airlines. I've been to Oz a few times using Qantas, SING and Malaysia, and found them the best airline to travel with. Downside is that it is more expensive, the plus is that the flight legs are about 14 and 8 hours, so second leg much better.

What about Dubai/Abu Dabi as a stopover for a few days? Or Singapore? Never toured any of them. I will be travelling on my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been loads of times, always via Singapore. Great city to see in a day or two...even last time when I booked a capsule hotel for a few hours I loved it.

Depends what part of australia you are going to - my mother is over there at the moment and although etihad was cheaper than Singapore Airlines it meant flying to Sydney and back to Perth which was pointless. She went Dublin - Frankfurt - Singapore - Perth and was there within 23 hours.

Have done many long haul flights and I don't see the difference of having 7hrs on first leg, 16hrs on second leg versus 14hrs on first leg and 8 hrs on second leg. I would look more at the times of the flights. I personally would be looking at the second leg being a night flight if you can sleep on planes, or if you are not a sleeper on planes that the first leg be a night flight and then you arrive late in evening so your ready for bed - or something along those lines.
I flew with Etihad recently to NZ via Abu Dhabi and Sydney. The airline that operated the second leg of flight was not great. I had heard great things about Etihad but would not be rushing to book with them again. There would want to be a significant difference in price.

Back