Best way to get Microsoft Office as a home user?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am getting a new pc for the home.

I use very old versions of Word , Excel and Powerpoint. I use Thunderbird for email.

I looked at buying it and it seems to be about €69 a year from Microsoft.

Then there is a one time purchase for €18.90 which doesn't have Outlook.

1) Is Outlook much better than Thunderbird?
2) If not, what is the best way to buy Word , Excel and PowerPoint?

Brendan

Does it have to be Microsoft Office? Have you ever tried any of these free alternatives:

https://www.libreoffice.org (Runs on Android and iOS phones & tablets too)

There are Mac/UNIX versions of all of the above and all are free.

They and others are reviewed here in Sept 2020, reasonably well balanced apart from the need for Access in a basic office suite: https://www.pcworld.com/article/218394/best-microsoft-office-alternatives.html

If you (or anyone else) wants low-cost office software (US$30)to use on a Mac only have a look here: https://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php#download

You could try out Libre Office first. Like Thunderbird it's free and open source, and attempts to be compatible with MS document formats (but doesn't always succeed for complex documents). You've the option to try it first anyway before shelling out for office.

Thanks.

I don't have the headspace for learning something new, so it's really what is the best way to buy/rent Microsoft Office

Brendan

I don't have the headspace for learning something new, so it's really what is the best way to buy/rent Microsoft Office
Just be warned, if you're currently using a very old version of Office it will have changed a lot, at least visually.

Some of the open source options are very good, but if you are a power user of Excel, they fall short in some areas, like pivot tables. The syntax of functions is slightly different. But for most of what an average person does, you wouldn't even notice a difference.

Then there is a one time purchase for €18.90 which doesn't have Outlook.
A one time purchase of MS Office Home is €149. Websites selling it for less than 20 are not legitimate. If you check, most such websites are only a few months old. They get shut down, and reappear under a new name. They're selling cracked keys, and MS may end up locking your key. By the time that happens, the website will be gone.

Check if you can get it discounted when buying the PC as a bundled software.

You can buy a one time licence for Home & Office which includes Outlook & Access, for about €240 if you need Outlook.
Personally, I don't use an email app for personal mail. All web based, so I've no need for Outlook.

With the one off purchase, you're buying that specific version. No free upgrades, which come automatically with the subscription service.

With the subscription, as well as the full suite of Apps, you also get 1TB of cloud storage. It's handy if you're working from a few devices, but you won't see the benefits if you've only got 1 PC. The license works out better for families with multiple users, but again, no benefit if it's just you.

Here's a good comparison:

If you don't see any benefits you'll use with the subscription, it's cheaper to buy up front.

Last edited:
With the one off purchase, you're buying that specific version. No free upgrades, which come automatically with the subscription service.

Red. That is great . Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

So this one at €69 a year seems perfect.

I get all the products
I get the updates.
I get cloud storage.

And if I change my mind for some reason, it's only €69 gone.

Brendan

Brendan, part of your original question was about Outlook v Thunderbird. I don't think there's an easy answer and it's really a question of what you need from a mail client. And if Thunderbird has worked for you up to now why change?

I've bought Office 2016 from this website - [ link removed]
with no problems. And I also bought a Windows upgrade from them several years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi HK

I checked these guys out and I don't think that they are legitimate so I removed your link. They don't say how they can do it so cheaply.

Brendan

I am happy to pay € 99 per year for Microsoft Office - it removes all doubts and questions about legitimacy.

And you can share it with family on up to 5 devices

Hello,

Students and Educators (including those who are part time), can get a heavy discount - in fact, I see that it's currently being offered for free!

So, any mature part time students, or lecturers, should check to see if their educational institution qualifies - I know that my one does :)

This is great thank you. I forgot that MS offer this and my son is at Trinity and our license is up soon so will save a few squid.

Just a tiny note for Mac users. I'm a long time Office-user, both PCs and Macs. Over that time, the updates for use on Macs have tended to be intermittent and not quite equivalent to the PC ones and the performance on Mac has been less than ideal, but if you are working with Office users you don't really have much choice but to use it. As a result, personally, I chose to buy one-off last time I was doing a major update in 2016. The one off purchase includes all the minor/security updates. And guess what? They only just updated it properly again for the new M1 Macs (will also run on Intel Macs). So I've saved on NOT buying a subscription, although I normally recommend a subscription to PC users.

Back