Best way of starting to play golf

Staples

I was going to buy a cheap set of clubs and see how I get on (There's a set of Spaldings in Elverys for €150). Others have suggested I get some lessons first and then splash out a bit more a decent set that would serve me better?

I've no plans to turn pro but I'd like to acquit myself reasonably well and be in a position to join in a couple of events that come up from time to time.

Any thoughts?

If you are near a club you could pop up and look at the noticeboard and the shop to see if anyone is selling clubs secondhand. Better a secondhand set of good clubs rather than a new set of Spaldings, no offence to Spalding users. Mc Gurks have second hand sets as well.

Get lessons as soon as possible, otherwise you'll develop bad habits that will prove hard to get rid of later. I'd second getting a decent second hand set rather than a cheap new set.

Hi Staples. Baldyman is absolutely correct about getting lessons. Getting your grip, posture, allignment etc. right from word go is very important and will stop the bad habits before they begin, as he said.

However, do be careful if you're going to buy a second hand set. Many beginners or casual golfers in the past have made the mistake of buying really old clubs, thinking they'd do the job fine. Many of these old sets are old style blades with small heads and very unsuitable for such golfers.

Having said all that, I would recommend you buy a second hand set but try to buy a set that you like and that suits you. I'd recommend that you borrow a set or two from friends who're average golfers and see how you get on with them first. When you decide to buy, have a good look around golf shops and club pro shops. I've bought quite a few second hand clubs on www.ebay.ie , www.callawaygolfpreowned.com , www.golfbidder.co.uk etc. and have never been disappointed with the quality or price. (Just remember you'll have to pay duty if importing from outside the E.U.).

Make sure that the clud heads are cavity back (or peripheral weighted - as if a scoop of metal has been taken out of the back of the head) and reasonably large, as well. Size does matter! A bigger head is much more forgiving when you strike the ball and will result in little or no shock on mis-hits.

By far the most important part of the club is the shaft. Don't go for firm or stiff shafts unless you swing the club very fast. And casual golfers should swing slowly. The rule of thumb is that you go for regular shafts if there's any doubt in your mind. Almost all pro's and low handicap golfers use steel shafts and so do many high handicappers. Graphite shafts are also a good option (though usually a little more expensive) and are also recommended to golfers who might suffer a little with wrist and elbow problems as there's less shock at impact with a graphite shaft.

When buying a driver, don't fall into the trap of thinking that the lower the loft, the further you'll hit the ball. It doesn't work that way. It's more about getting the ball up in the air. Don't buy anything with a loft of less than 10 degrees and the shaft rule is very important here. Many casual golfers would be encouraged not to use a driver at all and to use a 3 wood instead. A 3 wood won't hit the ball quite as far as a driver but it'll usually hit it straighter.

I'd also recommend that you don't carry any iron below the 6 in your bag and that you get a rescue club or two instead. Rescue clubs (or hybrids) are a cross between an iron and a wood. They have shorter shafts than woods and have heads like clumpy irons. They're easier to hit than 3, 4 and 5 irons and the shorter shafts make them more accurate than fairway woods. I'd advise you get two - a 19 or 22 degree one and a 25 degree one. (Or similar lofts). And don't be afraid to use them off the tee. You'd be surprised how far you can hit the ball with them.

Putting is probably the most important part of the game and all I'd say is that you should get a putter that you really like. Putting is a very personal thing, as you'll see when you watch the pro's.

Many cheaper, new sets, like the Spalding ones in Elverys, are very good. My first set was a Spalding one. A lot of companies at the cheaper end of the market make clubs that are a bit like clones of bigger and more expensive brands and a casual golfer wouldn't notice three or four hundred euro of a difference between them!

I hope all of that hasn't boggled your mind and turned you off golf for life!

Whatever you decide to buy, I hope you'll enjoy the game. Like one or two other things in life, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it!

I wouldn't buy any clubs yet if you have never hit a golfball before, go to a pitch and putt course to see if you like it first.

+1 Lex, a super post for anyone starting golf.

Just to add in relation to clothing.

If you try golf and like it the best advise I could give you is to invest in a good set of water-proofs. Gortex can be expensive, but well worth it. Brands like Sunderland of Scotland are great and are usually well discounted in places like Arnotts in the sales.

Waterproof shoes are even more important because if it is not raining when you play the grass can still be wet from previous showers or early morning dew. I find FootJoys very good. Also, when my footjoys are wearing out, I leave them in the car for when I'm going to the driving range, or playing in the summer.

Golf Balls

Best to start out with relatively cheap balls like Top Flite. Lake balls and re-furbished balls can be fine too when starting off.

Lex mentioned putting - I'd also add chipping as very important. If you live near a good course (Fota in Cork for example) they have practice chipping and putting areas.

Lastly, books can be a great help. The Tiger Woods "How I play golf" is very good for getting the basics and how to hit from different lies etc

http://www.amazon.com/How-Play-Golf-Tiger-Woods/dp/0446529311

Online resourses can be good too - golf.com etc

Finally, and most importantly, enjoy it. You will hit some crap shots at the beginning and it will take time to get better, but stick at it and then one days you'll hit a screamer and be delighted with yourself. It's like driving, everyone was a learner at some stage.

Good luck!

F

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies and advice, especially the very comprehensive and helpful one from Lex!

As regards clothing, I don't thinl it's an issue, at least not in the short term. If it rains, i'm not there - it will be that simple.

Start of by going to the library and get a Dave Ledbetter golf book,then I suggest you start going to the golf range about twice a week.