Best way (by road) to get from Abu Dhabi to Dubai

marshmallow

Have two days in Abu Dhabi coming up and I wanted to use a day to see Dubai which I believe is about an hour and a half away. What is the best way to get from Abu Dhabi to Dubai? Is there a regular bus service/train or better to just hop in a cab?

Thanks in advance.

There is a bus service but it goes typically when its full rather than when the timtable says, so taxi is best although much more expensive but alot cheaper than home. Its one long straight road just be careful what times you decide to go as there are times when its very very heavy with traffic as you come into Dubai. If you can go on a friday its the one day that most people are off, as roads as quiet.

Dubai is very spread out if possible have an idea of where you want to go because you will need to get a taxis everywhere, again traffic can be a pain.

let me know if you need anything else
Regards
Bolo

Thanks for your replies. Paulsgirl, can you remember roughly how much did the taxi ride cost (in euro)?

Bolo, it will likely be a Wednesday when I am going there, and I just want to get a general touristy look around at the city, The Palms, Jumeirah Beach area etc, just to get a sense of the place.

Cheers,

Hi Marshmallow, to be honest, it was a couple of years ago so I can't really remember. We travelled up just for one night. If it was an outrageous price, I would've remembered so I'm sure it wasn't too bad. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Couple of years ago it would have cost sixty euro. They have tolled part of the Sheikh Zayed Road which leads in to Dubai since then. The roads are fantastic. You should possibly consider hiring a car which would give you more flexibility around Dubai and allow you to stop off at an oasis en route.

Cheers ontour, what is the driving like there, is it reasonably safe? Have driven in the US etc, but will be in the area on a two-day transit on the way elsewhere so not sure it it's worth hiring a car.

They drive fast but if you have handled highways in the US, you should be fine. Simple things like being able to stop and look at the dates growing on the side of the road or going off the main roads down to the beaches that look over the gulf make it a much more interesting trip.

Defo rent a car but make sure to get sat nav-Dubai can be confusing. Abu Dhabi airport is Dubai side. Dubai very spread out so car makes life easier. (I lived there for two years).

Public transport is something else in UAE...
If getting a car is not really an option, you can take an open bus tour to get around Dubai. It goes by all main attractions. The ticket is valid for 24 hrs (so you can combine parts of 2 consecutive days), and you can hop on and of where you want. The buses are not very frequent though (can't remember exactly, but thing there is about 2-2,5 hrs gap between them).

I did the opposite trip a few months ago and negotiated 200 Dirhams for a taxi which I believe is €40 or so.

Back