Best Time of Year to Weed Garden

Hello FCC.
Weeding is most effective before your weeds begin to set and spread their seed.
Catching them before they begin this reproduction will greatly minimise your future weeding.
The main seed spreading times are during summer and autumn, so a good weeding in spring with occasional weeding after that when needed is quite effective.
Weeding during an extended dry spell is especially good, as the annual weeds you fail to remove will often die of drought if scuffed up with a hoe.

Remember, just pulling away the top growth of perennial weeds such as dandelions will not kill the brutes.
They will resprout from any scraps of roots you fail to remove.

Weeding right now, with our wet sticky soils may possibly result in soil compaction everywhere you stand within your bed or border.

I.G,
Thanks indeed for that - garden is somewhat overgrown, have only returned to the country to find 2 feet of grass where once my plants stood so gloriously! Is there anything to do in the gdn at this time of year or is Feb best time (or March) to start?
Thanks,
FCC

Also, how might I determine whether the garden is alkaline or acidic in nature?

Some tasks you can undertake at this time of the year include.....

Plan for next season.

Place veg and bedding seed orders
Service your mower
Transplant any misplaced deciduous plants
Rake any remaining leaves off your lawn.

Plant trees and shrubs.
Pick up a simple soil PH test kit in a garden centre to determine whether the soil in your garden is alkaline or acidic

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I have heard a conflicting view that leaves in flower beds are nutritious/can be advantageous so should they be removed?

Leaves are less nutritious, more soil conditioning.
They can take quite a long time to break down as well.

Interestingly, if there had been a covering of leaves on your beds (acting as a mulch) you may have had less weeds growing while you were away.

Back