Best Scotch Whiskey to buy for an American

Conshine

I am going on a trip to the US and a guy that I work with mentioned once that he likes Scotch.

I have never met him, but have a good working relationship with him and would like to buy him a bottle.

Any suggestions?

I am a bit of a novice really - I drink the stuff, in fact I drink almost anything.

I dont know if he is a single malt or blend fan.
Or even if Scotch comes in single malt etc.

Is the guy American? Reason I ask is that a lot of Americans say "scotch" for any whisky/whiskey that comes from these islands. In reality, a good Irish might suffice if you know anything about Irish whiskey.

Edit: Just copped on to thread title - he is indeed American seemingly :eek:

First thing you must learn as a Scotch Novice is not alone can they not make decent whiskey, they can't even spell it - their version is whisky.

You can buy single malt Scotch at a variety of ages in most good liquor stores or duty free shops, but why not introduce him to the joys of the real deal, genuine Irish Whiskey, the original uisce beatha, from similar sources.

If going the Irish route, I'm no expert (and true connoisseurs may disagree) but I don't think a Jameson 18 year old will disappoint.

Dungourney‘This is masterful stuff’ Jim Murray, Whiskey Critic
In 1994, the Master Distiller Barry Crockett made a rare discovery when making his rounds of casks at the old Midleton Distillery where his father, Max Crockett, had been the Master Distiller. It was a cask not identified on his stock charts. The cask had been laid down 30 years earlier, in 1964, and had escaped enumeration on the commissioning of the new distillery.
In 1994 this rare discovery was tasted by the Master Blender, and the whiskey was of optimum quality. Thus, it was bottled, and named for the Dungourney River which has supplied the Midleton Distillery since its foundation in 1825. This is a rare whiskey, a bottle of which could one day find its way into the Rare Auctions of the world.

What about a shot of Auld Reekie! After a big steaming bowl of Cock-a-leekie with buttered rye bread.

There are so many Scotch whisky makers. My brother went on holiday there a few year back and toured the highlands ...he said it was like driving through a drinks cabinet! :D

Last edited:
Nice to see the Islay malts doing so well here! :D

We should have an AAM tasting trip to Islay for Easter!

especially since I'll be there anyway.......

I was convertred to Scotch during a visit to Islay many moons ago. In order of my (personal ) preference, recommended Islay Malts:

Lagavulin 16year old
Laphraoig 10 year old
Ardbeg 10 year old

Others (Speysdie & highland):
The Glenlivet 12 year old
Glenmorangie (Port sherry finish)

Last, but not least, Irish Whiskey (again in order of preference):

Bushmills 16 year old
Jameson 12 year old
Connemara

Back