Best route to Scotland by Ferry

polo1

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best route (shortest and easy) way to get to Scotland from either Dublin or NI>.... Am supposed to be heading for 3 days from Friday to Sunday. Looking at Larne to Troon the ferry leaves at 7.15am which means I would have to leave Dublin around 4.30? Way too early with a small baby.
What Ferry companies sail pls?

Any other ferries that would take me there a little later pls.

I use Stena Line Belfast to Stranraar.

there is a fast ferry at arount midday which takes about 2 hours.

It is very handy to get to the terminal in Belfast. Very well signposted.

I use Stena Line Belfast to Stranraar.

there is a fast ferry at arount midday which takes about 2 hours.

It is very handy to get to the terminal in Belfast. Very well signposted.
I'll second that , straight up the M1 , straight onto the Westlink at Belfast and you are there , its also a HSS crossing.

It's a long nasty journey from Stranraer to Troon, especially if you get behind a lorry, of which there are plenty, it being a ferry route. Therefore, I prefer to go by Troon which means going to Larne, a 30 min drive from Belfast. Ferry is also smaller so less time waiting for on/off.
Leaving Dublin (say airport region) at 4.30 is just about ok to make it. You may want an extra 15 mins to be comfortable.

Depends on where is Scotland you want to end up. You will have to weigh up the journey this side of the water and then when you get to Scotland to and from the ferry ports. I recently went from Belfast to Stranraer return on the fast ferry with Stena line. I found it to be a very good service. It was easy to get to and from the ports. I used aaroadwatch to estimate times of journeys on land and for the directions.
Enjoy it as the views are spectacular in Scotland.

Why don’t you go for the 12:55 sailing, Larne to Troon is definitely the fastest and closest route to Glasgow. I did Stena Line Belfast to Stranraer for the Heineken Cup final in Edinburgh recently and it worked out fine although it’s a long drive and not a great road from Stranraer up to the motorway that takes you around Glasgow.

Thank you all for your responses. Am I right in assuming that I can either sail to Troon or Stranraer??

Just for FYI - I am going to Perth which I estimate is about 120K from Troon and 200K from Stranraer...

Rigel - I dont see this sailing when I look it up - only the early morning and evening ones. Who is this sailing with please.

Welfarite.. Its 4.30am in the morning and means taking them out of bed etc thats all... They have just turned 1 and will think its up time...

You could drive up the night before, stay in a B&B, and catch the early sailing.

To answer your other question: Stena Line operate the Belfast to Stranraer route; P&O Irish Sea operate routes from Larne to Troon and Cairnryan.

Welfarite.. Its 4.30am in the morning and means taking them out of bed etc thats all... They have just turned 1 and will think its up time...
I was just thinking that they would sleep in the car once you got them loaded up! guess I've forgotten what it's like!

Rigel - I dont see this sailing when I look it up - only the early morning and evening ones. Who is this sailing with please.

I found it on the P&O web site.
poirishsea.com/information/pdfs2009/Britain%202009%20Brochure%20page9.pdf