Best quality and value wall mountable TV

doogo

Can anyone give their experience on wall mountables - they are expensive - but are they worth it
... me and the better .5 looking for a tv for extended kitchen/ living area - somewhere in the 20 - 26inch range

all suggestions gratefully received

an LCD screen will give you better picture, no reflections like a plasma screen. Check where the connections are at the back, to see if you can still mount it reasonably flush to the wall. Also how near will your plug socket, TV point be? No point in having a nice TV if you have cables trailing across the wall.. Once you have cleared up these issues it might make the choice of a suitable one easier..

Shrek 31,
Happily we're in the position to pick our socket and cable position - on a new extension wall so we'll do them as tight to the TV location as possible to minimise any mess - was going to go LCD rather than plasma alright, just wondered if anyone has specific experience with size/models etc.

The best quality and best value for money TV will be two different things.

Hitachi and Samsung have some good, affordable LCDs especially in the up to 32" category.

For quality, you can't go wrong with Sony or Philips but you will pay for the pleasure.

I would recommend buying a HD ready one if you can to future proof it - although this will cost more. Non-HD ready TVs have been sold off by now cheaply from most suppliers but you might be able to still get one of these for a bargain price.

These wall-hung LCD TVs look very swish. But what if one wants to watch a DVD? Are there wires everywhere? Or what?

Marion

Marion said:
These wall-hung LCD TVs look very swish. But what if one wants to watch a DVD? Are there wires everywhere? Or what?

Marion
LG offer an LCD with built-in DVD player at the size. Here's the 23" one from a US website, though I could only find the 17" in Dublin. If anyone knows any other models/sources of LCD/DVD, please let me know.

I'm also able to pick the socket/cable position - but doesn't the power lead have a 'transformer block' which will have to be accomodated somewhere. I can't stick that behind the wall, I presume?

I picked up a 23" philips WXGA lcd tv in DID about 6 weeks or so ago for something like €790 or in that region... haven't actually tried it out properly yet as its for a new place that we haven't moved into yet but I wa svery happy with the picture of it in the shop and when I quickly played around with it .... its €810 now

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=23PF8946

Marion said:

Marion

LG do a 17" LCD with built-in DVD.

Only problem is they are pricey - heading for a grand - and the DVD is a bit loud i.e. you can hear a high pitched whine as it spins. Not a problem if you stand back from it but might be if you are too close.

Otherwise, yes, you are looking at extra cables, although if you are wall mounting, you could sink the SCART into the wall also perhaps.

Thanks MonsieurBond - just spotted this now.

I suppose LCD TV with HD and DVD RW are extremely expensive - if they exist?

I haven't gone looking at TVs. But, I could get the wires sorted out when the building commences and have the work ready for a wall-hung TV.

In general, are LCD wall-mounts (in a living room) better than those standing on the floor for viewing purposes?

Marion