best programme on tv

blueshoes

going from slamdunkin's previous post on worst tv thought id start the best programme on tv one....

mine are corrie,top gear, and air crash investigation

Agree with Top Gear and also think The Long Way Down is great. Other half loves QI and Hidden History.

Thats a fairly mixed bag.

I would go for scrubs and family guy - always make me laugh.

The shield - little ott at times but entertaining all the same.

I can't think of anything that is currently doing the rounds that can live up to sopranos, west wing etc for good story and all that, but I live in hope. I'm bit more of a boxset man anyway cause i'm not very good at tuning in at the same time every week, I'm a random watcher!

Top Gear & Long Way Down are winners alright; Discovery channel used to have some great WW2 documentaries on but now its getting pretty repetitive with, how its made/mythbusters/chopshop repeats on loop monday to friday.
Any nature programs involving sharks/lions and other big animals are always a winner!

Top Gear, QI, The Panel, Heroes, The Wire was great but haven't seen it for ages, The Black Donnellys is pretty good too.

CSI
SVU
anything foodie, especially Rick Stein
Top Gear
Homes in the sun
re runs of any Lethal Weapon movies

SVU, Ramseys kitchen nightmares, The Panel, Scrubs and Spongebob Squarepants

oh and CSI & CSI NY....NOT that abomination that is CSI Miami...god David Caruso is sickeningly cringeworthy in that with his one-liners and endless stares into the distance and putting on & taking off of those damn shades !!

Interesting if ye look at these lists that the vast majority are not programmes in the old sense of the word - i.e. most are either quiz shows, cooking/diy type or else audience participation shows. Have to say there is not one single programme these days that I simply have to see ... apart from watching In The Night Garden with my little one!!

Yep, very little of quality really. Those that have it seem to lose it quickly too IMO. Thought Shameless and The Green Wing were great initially but the former ran out of steam and series 2 of TGW was a pale imitation. Thought Peep Show was good too. For me, apart from QI and the odd documentary the only unmissable programme in the last 5 years or so has been The Sopranos - and it's over now.

I'd echo Pique's comment on CSI & CSI NY - love both of them - and CSI Miami - hate it! I'm watching daily re-runs of Hill St Blues, and many of today's cop shows aren't a patch on it - there are characters, stories, plotlines and little or no technology to baffle us or solve the crime!

My kids have me watching these gems...

Coast on BBC2
Dragons Den on BBC2...

My favs... repeats I know, but, classics...
Father Ted... late night repeats on More 4 (epsiode with Brendan Grace was on the other night.... on a par with Fawlty Towers)
Sopranos... they're started reshowing series 1 late night on More 4.

Check out the Investigators on RTE1 on Thurday nights. Episode 2 tomorrow. I watched it last week by accident. Excellent and not too high brow. [broken link removed]

How many Top Gear fans on hre?? This post will be deleted if not edited immediately I cant think of much worse - its been flogged to death and is so staged and obvious now that I couldnt watch it. Reminds me a bit of Soccer AM - that was classic views for years but was slipping for the past three years and with Lovejoy now gone is just durge.

give me Curb your enthusiasum anyday

In The Night Garden is pretty good.

Ok I've changed my mind.... any idea when the movie comes out on that?

Other good shows
The Clinic
Hidden History
About the House
Would You Believe
Kilnascully
...(who needs Sky digital!)

Ok I've changed my mind.... any idea when the movie comes out on that?
There's a DVD out since September. Why are you changing your mind when you haven't previously expressed a view here? And why the when this thread is open for discussion of people's personal opinions on "best programme on tv"?