Best POS merchant service and Card payment solution - 2020

Nemama

Hi there,

I'm referring about the lowest on fees, etc.

I assume they all need access to Wifi in order to work. Do you know any option for charging using a mobile service (e.g self-employed who does some home works and wants to charge by card instead of cash?)

THanks

There have been huge advances in the card terminals recently. You can get ones connected to your smart phone, have a SIM card of their own, or use wi-fi. I pay for strawberries on the roadside stops using card.

'best' depends on your requirements, primarily the number and value of transactions you want to process.

Some ideas:

GSM terminals are fairly standard.

Rental is €20-€30 a month.

Commission is from 0.2%-0.5% for debit cards and 0.6%-1% for credit cards. Business / corporate cards are about 1%-1.5% more. (someone has to pay for the "free" perks of corporate cards)

If it's sporadic transactions, then sumup is an option. No monthly costs, but they charge 2.75% commission on all cards.

Loads of operators out there - payzone (owned by aib) and an post are two that will deal with small accounts

Would anyone have recommendations for a small business who has volumes of 20 - 40k per month by card? Currently with aibms and the fees are sky high compared to some similar providers on the market. Or perhaps any other companies we should also avoid

Have you haggled with aibms?

Payzone (owned by aib), payment sense and many others out there. Most offering very similar services

Payment plus is another - they use Barclay card

Sorry I missed this post. BOIPA gave us very competitive prices for our needs and has been working well so far, more than half the price of AIBMS. Payzone quoted us a fee which makes no sense so there was definitely a catch somewhere as it does not even seem to cover costs / interchange fees

Last edited:
Back