Best places to buy furnishings, electrics etc.

glic

This question may already be answered in a different thread, but any suggestions on the best places to buy kitchen furniture, sofas, and electrical goods (washing machine, tv, etc) if you want to keep to as tight a budget as possible. Hoping to buy a house shortly in the Tallaght area.
Cheers.

Hi, depends on what you have in mind. Perhaps you're not aware of it but Woodie's have a 10% discount for senior citizens on a Thursday so if you have someone who qualifies, just bring them along. Other than that, prices are similiar depends on where you go. Or Irish Ferries are doing a deal for €99 to go to Ikea in Warrington, about 2hr drive from Holyhead. Prices are very good for what you can get. www.ikea.com & www.irishferries.com & www.woodiesdiy.com

Hi glic,

Welcome to AAM.

If you check out either the Homes and Gardens key posts or run a search on the you will find many posts on these matters.

Hope things go well with the purchase as its an exciting time buying a house. :)

Sueellen.

You're going to be sacrificing a lot of quality if you go with B&Q for bathrooms or kitchens - its two areas I think their products are particularly poor in (though things like their power tools are great).

OhPinchy said:
You're going to be sacrificing a lot of quality if you go with B&Q for bathrooms or kitchens - its two areas I think their products are particularly poor in (though things like their power tools are great).

Kitchen cabinets aren't great quality granted, but you get what you pay for. Taps, fittings etc. are as good as you'll get elsewhere unless you want the likes of Grohe. I wouldn't touch a lot of their power tools Performance Power etc., that said though, they've recently started stocking the DeWalt 18V range, but at a higher price than you'll pay elsewhere. They've recently stopped listing most power tools on their web site for some reason, only a total of 19 tools there now.

I've spent a small to medium sized fortune there since buying my place, but I find them expensive for decent power tools among other things. Example, DW708 I got for €980, they had at the same time for €1200.
Leo

Funny, I've only ever had trouble with two sets of taps that I've fitted and both were B&Q.

As for power tools I've completely the opposite opinion as you do - I find their Performance and Pro power tool ranges to be truly excellent quality (particularly the Pro) and well priced. Have you actually used any of their stuff?

Their SDS drill I got for €75 pounds through concrete in the exact same way as the Hitachi we used on sites. A skill saw with laser guide and blade for €36? Its not makita but its a steal at that price and has glided through the hundreds of feet of 3/4 inch ply I've been using it on. Their Pro chopsaw (admittedly only bevels for mitres on one side but I've gotten used to it) comes with laser guide and 3 year warranty and all for €193. Again, its not up to the standards of the DeWalt we used on site but since I've left that game and the tools are all for use on the renovations and extension I'm doing on my own house its a great deal. I'm 100% convinced that their Pro range, or at least some of it, are re-badged Ryobis, which anyone in the know will tell you are a rising force as their quality is a lot closer to the DeWalts and Makitas etc than their price would suggest (and the 2yr warranty is great).

I could go on, but the bottom line is the B&Q Performance and particularly Pro range are far, far superior tools to anything I would class as fit only for the DIY range e.g. ROK, Black&Decker, most Bosch stuff.

Anyone buying a DeWalt chopsaw is probably still in the trade, in which case they'd know they'd be mad buying top end gear like that in B&Q cos they could get a better price through the building suppliers where they have their account. A particularly savvy tradesman would buy online, where he could get the DW 708 for the great price of €804 from http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=1614&MAN=Dewalt-Dw708-240v-Double-Bevel-Mitre-Saw

I've no affiliation to B&Q and think their kitchens, sanitaryware inlcudng taps, are muck.

Back