Best place to find a tenant in 2024?

tinymouse

Have used Daft in the past, but it's very expensive, and I ended up just end up getting bombarded with mass messages by people who clearly haven't read the ad, and are just messaging every single property on the site. While I sympathise with anyone trying to find a place in this crazy market, it's very difficult to separate the people serious about renting the place long term vs someone just looking for anywhere to live for a short period, until they find somewhere more suited.

I'm also not really interested in going through friends and family. I prefer to keep those world's separated.

Are there any tips nowadays for finding a good long term tenant?

I specifically use the Daft website to screen out the type of tenants that I wouldn’t even shortlist.
I ask them to reply in a specific format. 90% do not and they are the tenants I generally wouldn’t want anyway.

What is this 'expensive' costs on Daft? (I haven't used them in a decade) . It's tax deductable and a way to sell your goods (property) . It was never free, even before Daft.

Abroad it is not uncommon for landlords to put signs in windows.

another vote for local employers; reduces a lot of the overseas applications - by which I mean people who are not currently living in Ireland.

What is this 'expensive' costs on Daft? (I haven't used them in a decade) . It's tax deductable and a way to sell your goods (property) . It was never free, even before Daft.

Abroad it is not uncommon for landlords to put signs in windows.
recently €135.
For me, it's quick and efficient. I received 300 emails in a couple of hours but it's quick to go through them. However, contrary to the op, I am not looking for someone staying long -term as I don't want to get caught in the legislation.

Last edited:
Initially found plenty of tenants by posting rental notice email in work. Included spec and a few other details in ad. Managed and maintained the properties but couldn't claim for my own time, especially unsocial hours.

However, with increasing RTB regulation decided to hand over management to a letting agent. They find the tenants, deal with RTB registration, regularly inspect the property and carry out maintenance. The letting agent also deals with issuing notice of termination.

The rent is credited to account and the letting agent fees are tax deductable. At the end of the year, the letting agent issues a property statement which is handy for submitting tax returns to revenue.

I have tried local employers, didn't really work for me.

I recommend daft, don't give the exact address . Replies by email only, pause the ad when you have 100 replies (or whatever), write a reply inviting people to a viewing, ask them to confirm they will attend, only then give the exact address or eircode.

Management company usually have someone reliable (known to them) looking for a place in the complex.

Back