best place for floors

positivenote

hi all had a look through various posts but have still to find one that will answer my query. We want to put wood floors down in our hall and sitting room. We have just discovered there are 3 types of floors that you can get (obviously new to this game). went looking around and found what we want but it was 52 euro a sq/yqrd semi solid, we then sound something similiar in Bargaintown for 22 euso a sq/yard but its lamenite. Is there a major difference in the two, what are the benifits for going with semi solid? Also where do people recomend to get the best rates on wood flooring. Admin, if this has been posted before appologies.
Thanks

Hi, there is usually an ad in the evening paper for solid and semi solid flooring for very reasonable prices. Not sure what the quality is like, maybe they would be willing to send a sample board or they may have a showroom that you can go and view the actual flooring. Other than that, the like of Noyeks and Heitons usually would give you a good deal on flooring.
With regards to the difference between laminate and semi solid this is huge. You will generally find that semi solid is a lot more durable than laminate. Laminate tends to have a "clicking" sound when you walk on it and sometimes tends to appear a bit plastic looking hence the cheap prices. You will find that if you look about you will get a good deal on semi solid and you will find that in the long run it probably won't cost as much as laminate (as you will not need to replace it after 5 - 7 years!)

Note that while solid looks much better, it can be easier to mark the wood with high heels. My parent's floor was destroyed during a recent party.

Laminate looks ok (we have down in our apartment), but if you have the money, I would go for hard wearing semi-solid/solid.

We got our solid oak floors from a place called Flooring products in Dundalk. They cost 33 euros per sq yard on a sale. They have numbers to guys fitting the floor. We are very happy with both the shop and the fitter. One of the guys they recommend is called Brian. He also fitted laminate floors for us, for 20 euros per sq yard, including laminate, underlay and work. The brand they supply is Elka. Im very happy with both the solid floor and laminate.

We went for laminate in bedrooms and solid in sitting room hallway. Felt that semi-solid was kinda of no where, people will give you better explanation but its just a thin strip of oak (or whichever u choose)on chipboard (poor explanition I know)

The laminate seems to be going good, far enough its not all out as nice as solid/semi solid but at prices down to about €7.50 sq yard it is good value, no wearing issues so far, all so with the size of modern bedrooms in new developments alot of the floor is going to be covered with bed, lockers etc.

the solid is a "floating floor", ie not nailed, think it has to be less than 16mm to float - again fitters or good stores should be able to explain.

Got a good laminate that claims to be 90% wood and solid oak on sale at €29.99 sq yard, underlay and fitting extra

Anyone try Matt Britton floors? (They are based in Bray I think?) or any other recommendations for floor supplier / layers ?

I've been to Des Kelly's on the weekend and they sell solid oak floors for about 35 - 40 Euro per sqy and that includes fitting, the floors looked really nice. That was on the Longmile Road.

I recently bought white oak solid floors from PS Supplies (www.pssupplies.com), based in Drogheda and Navan. They also recommended a fitter, which charged 19 euro sq yd including skirting. Really happy with his work.

They have a sale on at the moment, floors cost me 29 euro sq yd in sale.

positivenote said:
hi all had a look through various posts but have still to find one that will answer my query. We want to put wood floors down in our hall and sitting room. We have just discovered there are 3 types of floors that you can get (obviously new to this game). went looking around and found what we want but it was 52 euro a sq/yqrd semi solid, we then sound something similiar in Bargaintown for 22 euso a sq/yard but its lamenite. Is there a major difference in the two, what are the benifits for going with semi solid? Also where do people recomend to get the best rates on wood flooring. Admin, if this has been posted before appologies.
Thanks
Hi There,
We bought semi solids in Richardsons at the red cow roundabout ( will be put down soon). It was a semi solid, three strip, oak.
Richardson sell "Kahrs" wooden floor boards. Kahrs are Swedish and are in the game a long time. We got a special at 33 euro sq yard. I think that Kahrs floors are good quality, a mate has them down already and is very happy with them.

Positivenote, the keypost on floors has a good explanation on all this but our experience has been to get Balterio laminate (high quality lam, they have a website) in family room/playroom and solid oak in "nice living room".

The laminate is not a real wood surface and doesn't look half as nice as the wood (plasticy) but it is a nice solid easy to clean surface and I don't have to worry about the abuse it gets although it has scratched when heavy furniture was pulled across it. I think the Balterio stuff looks nicer than the other high end laminate Quick Step. Its worth getting the one with grooves on all sides as it makes it look more like planks.

I reckon go for wood if you can afford it, don't mind it getting a bit marked over the years (adds charachter?) and don't hate the idea of having to clear the room and get it sanded in a few years.

Back