best 'piano-like' keyboard???!!

babydays

No the answer isn't 'a piano' please!

My husband used to play piano a lot & I know he'd love to get back to it. He was always lucky to be able to play on top notch pianos so can't stand old clankers - out goes the idea of a cheap 2nd hand one & I can't afford a new one!

Sooo, are there any keyboards out there that really do come close to reproducing the touch, feel and sound of a piano and also have the full range - and are vaguely affordable?

Haven't a clue where to start looking and frightened about the price.

would LOVE some ideas...tks a mil

My daughter bought an electronic piano keyboard and is delighted with it.

She got it on [broken link removed] and feels she got a great bargain as the same one is in Argos for €230.

Feel free to ask if you are looking for any further information on it.

I have no idea of cost, because I didn't buy one, but I did have a long chat with the owner of a large music shop (when he was not in sales mode) and I was assured that the electronic versions are now very capable of faithfully reproducing a piano-like feel and sound.

He suggested Yamaha to me - apparently they are the best brand in this sector by a country mile. Mind you I was enquiring in the context of getting in something on which the children could learn, so maybe there are high-end electronic keyboards that he simply didn't mention to me.

As it happens, my neighbour was getting rid of a 'cheap 2nd hand' one (free to take away) so I never got as far as trying out the electronic ones. Hope this is of some help.

The Yamaha Clavinovas are the closest to a real piano. However, they are not cheap, and for the same money you would get an excellent quality second hand piano.

I did a bit of Googling and it seems that what I need to be looking for are Digital pianos with weighted keys (i.e. lower keys heavier and higher keys lighter).
I can find some great looking ones on the web (Germany, UK) with good reviews and good delivery options. i.e. casioprivia px 720 approx E600
http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Casio-Privia-PX-720-Digital-PianoWalnut/8HP

but want him to be able to try them out before we order. The likes of Waltons only seem to do the really high cost ones.

Does anyone know of a shop that has a good selection of digital pianos in the Dublin or Leinster region. Would rather buy locally if I can.

hi,
try the uk website www.pricegrabber.co.uk...
it lists different keyboards and compares the prices in various stores/websites in the UK...you can source a good deal here I think...I just ordered a keyboard through a company I found through this website...the company I bought from only charged me the same shipping as to Northern Ireland..too

The Sound Shop in Drogheda stock those pianos. Their website doesn't list them but my daughter bought one there about 7 or 8 years ago. I think it was around €1000 but they have come down in price since that. Might be worth a phone call before you go there.

Opus 2 in George's Street have a selection of the lower priced Yamaha keyboards. Smyths Toy Stores also have a limited selection.

tks guys,

phoned the Sound Shop and they have a good Yamaha for circa E1,000 (yikes!) but it is excellent by all accounts.

So have talked to husband and in the new year we'll go there and have a look - they're getting more models in soon. Also will check out Opus 2 - tks a lot for that recommendation.

Back