Best photographic printer ?

ajapale

I looking for a good general purpose printer which will also do quality photographic prints. Which brands / models? How expensive are the cartridges and paper?

Thanks,
aj

You probably need to do a bit of research but I would be surprised if the cost per print with a home printer would ever approach that of outsourcing the job to a retail or online digital photo printing service.

Got to agree with my 2 esteemed colleagues on this one too.

There is simply no way you are ever going to print out photos to the same quality that you will get at say Jessops, Boots etc, and definitely not to the same cheap price.

They have machines costing tens of thousands to do the printing, and I know locally I get my 6 x 4 prints done for around 6 - 7p sterling per print. Not a hope of doing it at home for that, plus think of all the wear and tear on your printer.

I don't know why anyone would even try to do it at home - don't waste your time or money. The big push that manufacturers did over recent years about home printing was one of the biggest scam in computing, especially cosidering the cost of replacement ink these days.

For home use I'd recommended the Canon Pixma range - I've purchased a number of multi function models for customers of mine and the results are very good - you can get scaning/photocopying/fax functionality as well as print. Check out the ip4500 model. I've also used a couple of Epson models and the print quality was very good for photos. Replacement ink for either is not expensive.

My Epson DX8500 is very good for photographs, if you buy the Kodak photographic paper and is also a great tool for scanning, photocopying and general printing. I got it from Dixons last January for €85. I bought my Father in Law the Canon photoprinter for £119 in the summer of 2006, and I couldn't see any difference in the quality of the prints (which were excellent IMHO).

However ink costs are expensive. It might be cheaper to look for a company to print your pictures for you (an on-line company might be quite cheap). My in-laws live near Costco in Watford, and we got 1000 pictures printed for 50 quid sterling!! They had a 2for1 deal, but still! :)

I'm don't know where the assumption that the OP was looking to save money by printing his own photo's came from. If you're printing the odd photo here and there, then home printing will be cheaper/easier than an on line service or going to a print shop.

I'm don't know where the assumption that the OP was looking to save money by printing his own photo's came from. If you're printing the odd photo here and there, then home printing will be cheaper/easier than an on line service or going to a print shop.

It wasn't an assumption, but simply a suggestion. I did, after all, suggest a good all-in-one system like the OP asked for, rather than a single function printer.

I'm don't know where the assumption that the OP was looking to save money by printing his own photo's came from.
Part of the original query suggests that this could be the case...
I looking for a good general purpose printer which will also do quality photographic prints. Which brands / models? How expensive are the cartridges and paper?

Thanks,
aj

Any of the basic printers will be fne for pirinting off one-off photos (such as the annual school request for a "baby" photo....used to drive me mad....not I just scan in one & print it of in std quality....photo quality depletes cartridge at a crazy rate). For bigger jobs, definately look at outsourcing.

Thanks for all the very helpfull advice!

In fact the printer is a present for a relative who has recently got into digital photography in a big way! I didnt want to burden them large consumable costs.

After listening to the advice Im inclined just to buy a standard printer and let them decide how to develop their photographs them selves.

aj

Argos have a canon pixma 4300 for 79.99. I bought one and am very pleased with the quality of the results. I agree that if you are using an online service it's cheaper, but sometimes you just can't wait! Catridges and paper can be bought on EBAY cheaper than retail, and it's possible to buy just the specific colours required (I find yellow and red run out for more quickly than blue or black).

Back