Best options for mortgage application

Paulie77

Hi
I'm looking for advice on the best course of action regarding moving from my existing PPR to a home in a new area.

Current o/s mortgage 320k, value of home 220k, so about 100k in NE and I don’t want to crystalize this loss. I have a tracker and repayments are 1200pm. I’m currently working abroad on a short contract but still tax resident in Ireland. As I’m abroad I’m currently renting my house out and the rent I get meets the mortgage repayments. The plan is to come back to Ireland in a few months when project ends and try to get a mortgage of €270k to buy a new home for €350k (my income is 90k gross, I have 80k of savings, no other loans, age 40 and single).

So,
1) is it better for me to continue renting out my house while I move to rental accommodation in my desired area until I buy there? The logic is that I would be showing the banks that as I can cover existing mortgage and meet rental costs in the new area (c.1500pm) and save an additional €1500pm, I would be able to meet the second mortgage rate.

Or

2) would I be better off going back to existing property, kicking out the tenants and continue to save €1500-1800pm?

Renting a new place while I have an existing property probably seems foolish and an unnecessary complication but for personal reasons I would really prefer to move to the new area and start renting while I suss out which property to buy, and having got decent tenants for my place I would like to leave them there. So which option is best from a mortgage application point of view?

many thanks

Paulie

Mortgage underwriters want to see an ability to repay, so if it is regular savings or rent, it doesn't matter to them, as long as you can show it. This can be the biggest pitfalls for mortgage applicants, they aren't able to show a regular savings pattern.

From a financial point of view, it doesn't make sense for you to own a house and pay rent but as you said, there are also personal reasons to take into consideration.

Best of luck

Steven
http://www.bluewaterfp.ie (www.bluewaterfp.ie)