best option for oct flight to Chicago

cappamj

Hi,
looking for my best booking option for flights to Chicago in Oct from either Shannon/Dublin for two adults. I have checked Aer Lingus site and price is €947(for some reason they have a large fuel surcharge. I would like to avoid any stopover in Dublin/Shannon. I would be willing to fly to NY and get low cost carrier from there and have tried to check prices from Knock airport with flyglobescan to NY but for some reason I get the error message. My dates are flexible but need to be there for the 5th. Thanks for any help on booking sites, I have looked at the key posts.

American Airlines also fly Dub via Shannon to Chicago and I would think having come into the market dominated by AL they would be pretty competitive!

AA codeshare with Aer Lingus AFAIK, they use Aer Lingus planes, so should cost more normally for the same thing. AL are to codeshare with Jetblue from this Summer ( they are on the JFK-ORD route AFAIK also), so you will be able to book onward flights through Al site from then. AL are the only ones I know that fly direct to Chicago. ATA, Midwest,Continental, Delta, United, US Airways go from JFK to Chicago airports (ORD, MDW, MKE), Continental (via Newark) and Delta ( JFK and Atlanta) do flights from Ireland,United also to Philadelphia, Canada'a main airline does flights to Toronto in Summer also, so check connecting flights from those hubs firstly with those airlines, and later via lowfares ones, www.kayak.com is handy for US low fare airlines.

Don't forget that Chicago is very well connected with train routes, if you want to see some of the country going there from New York, Boston, Toronto etc.

AL and AA ain't codesharing on this route if you have a look at example
dep 14/06/2007 ret 27/06/2007 you'll see different dep and arr times indicating to me, along with no mention of 'operated by..',that they are not codesharing but competing on this route

I booked with AA before to Chicago and Aer lingus were used, I was told at the time that they shared aircraft on the route. Al are supposed to be leaving the Oneworld alliance early this year, but I thought that they would to still codeshare with AA, the flights appear different alright.

I don't believe that their is huge competition on price to the States though. This time last year I booked tickets to Florida during December that cost €460 return with Delta, Aer lingus later put a fuel surcharge on their routes to the US of €80 return, and low and behold Delta are charging a bit over €80 extra this year on the route, and most routes to the big hubs in the US have risen in price across the board for the other airlines by about the same:mad: .

American Airlines used to Codeshare with Aer Lingus on the Chicago flights (and all other Aer Lingus Ireland-US flights)...

They now (since last summer I believe) operate their own service on the route to Chicago from Dublin

I think the codesharing arrangement stopped with American Airlines started flying their own services to Ireland.

You can fly via Amesterdam with Northwest Airlines from Dublin for €748 (€580) incl. taxes departing Oct 3rd. This is available on Orbitz.com and is sold on a single e-ticket meaning that your bags will be transferred at AMS in both directions and Northwest/Aer Lingus will have to accommodate you on a later flight if you encounter connection delays at either end. The DUB-AMS leg is with Aer Lingus.

Back