Best/Nicest part of France within train-able distance of Paris?

marcellaf

hi all,

I'm considering going towards Paris for the Ireland v France & the Ireland v Argentina games in September.
Problem is, I don't have any tickets, so will probably just end up on the streets of Paris - hopefully there should be a great atmosphere around anyway.

Thing is, I don't actually want to stay in Paris in between the games - I would prefer to be maybe 2 or 3 hours away by train (or plane I suppose), maybe by the coast.

Can anyone recommend some nice areas that are within striking distance of Paris?

I would def consider surrounding countries also - how long would it take to get from Zurich to Paris for example?

Thanks a million in advance

P.S. If anyone could help me get tickets for the games, then I would really be a very very happy AAMer :D

Are you into wine? If so then you could get the train to Bordeaux and do some sampling around Pauillac. beaches nearby and Hennessy distillery too.
Found Zurich dead and dead expensive.

Tours, Loire Valley quite nice.
Would highly recommend Bordeaux, 3 hrs by train to Paris.
Also, Lyon is a great place to visit, and its 2 hours on the TGV (high speed train in France). Lyon has plenty to do and see, and is hailed as the food capital of France - no shortage of places to eat and drink!

Interesting idea Firefly. How far from Paris is Bordeaux?

Are there a few big towns in the area?

Does the Hennessy distillery do tasting tours? I know someone who would be v interested in that!

thanks!

Hennessy Distillery is in the town of Cognac to the north of Bordeaux which is a lovely little town - pretty sure they do tours (there's several other brandy houses in the town that certainly do tours)

Cognac isn't that large and isn't on the main train line ... Angouleme is a larger town, also quite pretty if I recall correctly and is quite close to Cognac. Angouleme is on the main line from Paris to Bordeaux so the TGV stops there - I think it's about 2 1/2 hrs from Paris.

They’re not on the coast but I definitely recommend Rheims or Lille. Rheims is 89 miles NE of Paris and has a great atmosphere; there’s one street Drouet d’Erlon where all the restos have their tables out on the street in the evening – it’s just one big party; you can visit the Café des Arts to drink their own brand champagne, etc. Lille is bigger but is well worth a visit and if you have the time Brussels in just another 38 mins by TGV up the line. (You can easily visit Lille or Brussels on day trips from Paris on the TGV). You can also get to Lyons on the TGV but it’s a few hours journey so you would need an overnight.

Back