Hi all,

Looking to go the Portable MP3 route.

What's the best one out there, taking into account:

Cost / GB Space
Ease of use
Battery life
Travel Speakers
FM Transmitter for in car use?
Home use - I've heard you can get a small transmitter enabling music to be heard around the home

Thanks,

BM

I suggest that you should add the following items to your list, near the top of the criteria:
  • Sound Quality
  • Quality of Supplied Headphones
  • PC/Mac Support (delete as appropriate)
  • Quality of Software for PC/Mac
The travel speakers and FM transmitter are after-market accessories and should not unduly influence your choice of MP3 player per se. Same with the wireless or wired links to your home Hi Fi.

(Having said that, the Apple iPod has the highest number of accessories.)

You also need to decide between Flash memory based or hard disk based. The flash memory ones will be smaller, lighter, won't suffer from skipping (or really poor battery life trying to cope with it) when jogging or in the gym.

On the Flash side, I would recommend the Apple iPod range - a bit expensive but very well made and well designed. There is rumoured to be a 10GB iPod nano due out soon - if 10GB is enough, the form factor is very small and battery life quite good. The Samsung range is also very good in terms of value for money. Sony do some flash drives but the PC software is unreliable so I would not recommend them.

In terms of hard disk models, again, the Apple iPod with Video is very good. Sony's products in this area are stylish but not as slick as the iPod (IMHO). The PC software is still flakey so, again, I would not recommend them.

The Creative Zen Vision M 30 gb is probably the best MP3 player on the market at the moment. Sound quality is fantastic. The ipod is all hype no substance.

S.B.

I can highly recommend the Creative Labs Zen player. I have had one for 2 years and it has never let me down. The headphones arent great so got new ones.

foxylady said:
Does anyone have a a creative Zen and if so would they recommend them.

Hi Foxylady

I have a Creative Zen Sleek 20gb, I find it to be excellent.

I have over 4200 songs on it at the moment on it. It is very user friendly and also has a radio.

I recently purchased a radio transmitter for it online which is great for playing music through the radio when driving or even playing through stereo at home.

Bought mine for about €270 last year not sure what price they are currently.

Hope this help

Munsterman said:
I have a Creative Zen Sleek 20gb, I find it to be excellent.
Bought mine for about €270 last year not sure what price they are currently.
Open to correction here but I believe this is the one that was on sale in Argos [Blackpool in Cork incase their offers aren't national] up until yesterday (I missed the offer myself so hope nobody is too upset about the late posting of it).

It was at half the normal price, around €155 from what I remember from the leaflet from last night. Seemed like an absolutly brilliant offer for what I've heard is an excellent unit.

If its available on offer like that once hopefully it may be around at reduced prices from other sources soon.

Am glad to hear all the good feedback because I bought the creative zen sleek photo 20gb version last night in argos for 155. It was priced originally at 316 but is on offer at the moment so happy days.

foxylady said:
....but is on offer at the moment so happy days.
Just thought I'd check..... that offer did end yesterday?
I'm nearly sure the leaflet said offers until Wednesday the 28th so I'm 99.9% sure it did, but always worth asking

hiya, I just checked in Argos... the offer runs until the 28th of July (according to the guy on the phone) but currently in Dublin any that they have in stock are on reserve and they don't have an order date for any more. The catalogue number is 5129759 if you want to ring them to check.

Gnash