Best method of installing large mirror?

TurkeyBurger

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of fitting a large mirror in a bathroom (1400 x 800 mm). We've priced them at €120 and €160 from 2 glass makers. (As an aside, anyone know if this is the going rate?).

The 2 people we have priced them from have both suggested very different ways of fitting a mirror:

1) Use adhesive. From what we can find out, this stuff is permanent and once the mirror is up, it is never coming down. Also, you have to support the mirror in some way for up to 24 hours until the adhesive sets.

2) Drill the mirror. The manufacturer would do this but he stressed the danger of you breaking the mirror while fixing it with screws. He also mentioned it is a bit out of date.

3) Small clips/clamps that are fixed to the wall and the mirror sits into these. I haven't seen these done. Are they secure? Would a slight knock against the mirror cause a big pile of broken glass and loads of years of bad luck?

Cheers, any help or other suggestions would be great...

We used the adhesive option. We weren't told to support it for 24 hours, so we didn't and had no problems. We got two very big mirrors from Rich Glass in Sallynoggin and I think the price was about €100 for both of them and the adhesive.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of fitting a large mirror in a bathroom (1400 x 800 mm)
We recently had a similar sized mirror (actually slightly larger) fitted in our bathroom. We had the wall re-tiled first with the space left for the mirror. The supplier came and measured and then came and fitted it using adhesive. It's still up! Cost was just over €200. Before they installed it I got rid of any old tiling adhesive from where the old tiles had been removed. After it was installed I grouted around the mirror. Looks great!