Best Japanese Resturaunt in Dublin?

Bluebean

hi all,

Could anyone recommend a really good, authentic Japanese or ideally sushi resturaunt in Dublin? I've been to aya before, and while it was ok I would like to try somewhere else/better now.

cheers

I like Yamamori on Georges Street. It's a little expensive, but the food is excellent.

Well, the smaller dishes are good - the larger dishes can be a bit dodgy.

thanks Ronan D, for some reason I had it in my head that Yamamori had closed down last year? I haven't been before but found the website and the menu looks great.
What do you mean by the larger dishes can be dodgy? Just not as flavoursome or actually not cooked properly?

thanks a mill.

Bluebean said:
What do you mean by the larger dishes can be dodgy? Just not as flavoursome or actually not cooked properly?

Okay. I'm no expert, but Japanese food isn't served in the manner of "starter/maincourse/desert" that we understand, though the Yamamori menu is almost set out like that - appetisers or sides and mains.

If you take this understanding, then their appetisers and sides are great, and their mains are not so good - with the possible exception of the ramen noodles.

If you go with the intention of having maybe 3/4 side dishes, including some sushi/sashimi and maybe nakitori, and a couple of beers, you'll have a great eating experience.

Any proper Japanese eating experiences I've had have always been with many smaller dishes rather than the starter/main routine thing that we westerners have.

cheers, the plan would be a number of side/small dishes alright. thanks again.

Not much use, but the only 'good' (as in posh or non-fast) Japanese restos in Ireland have closed down over the years. For a while they were the only ones in the country.

There used to be 2 Ayumi-ya restos - one in Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock and a second in Baggot Street. The family that owned them now own Aya, but it is run on different lines.

There was also a most excellent place (with a Michelin star) down in west Cork - Shiros, but a) it's not in Dublin and b) it is closed down.

In Dublin the only ones I know of are Wagamama and Yamamori. There are a few other asian fusion places that do some Japanese, but not a great range. There are also a few Teppan places around (Yo Thai! is the chain I think with one in Donnybrook, Mount Merrion & Howth I think) and the one in Donnybrook at least has a sushi chef, but since I don't eat sushi I can't comment on the quality.

z