Best Irish sporting achiever EVER

Ok how about we forget about best Irish sporting achiever because it is a pointless exercise.

How about whats your most enjoyable Irish sporting moment? It could be your local GAA club winning the local derby or it could be Stuttgart in 88.

How about whats your most enjoyable Irish sporting moment? It could be your local GAA club winning the local derby or it could be Stuttgart in 88.

1998 All Ireland Football Final. Galway. Donnellan, Fallon, Joyce. Epic !

Ok how about we forget about best Irish sporting achiever because it is a pointless exercise.

Without hesitation, Denis Taylor winning 1985 World Snooker Championship on last ball of last frame.

It was me side footing the winning penalty into the top left corner in a shootout to send us to our first final, it was like Italia 90 all over again!

I think as a nation we've punched above our weight in recent years. When I was a boy the thought of (a) an Irish football team going to a world cup (b) an Irishman winning the tour de France and (c) an Irishman winning a major in golf was unimaginable. But all three have been done. We've been to 3 world cups, an Irish man has won 3 majors and not alone has an Irishman won the Tour de France but also the Giro de Italia, the Cycling world Championship and The Vuelta (Tour of Spain - Sean Kelly).

We've had great champions - but we don't produce consistently in any sport. We had Roche and Kelly - top of the world in cycling, then nothing. Sonia O'Sullivan - top of the world in Womens Athletics - then good but not great athletes. Now we have Harrington. After him we'll probably revert to having our usual good pros and wondering when next will an Irishman win the Irish open

Hopefully now we will realise that we are not punching above our weight and gain the confidence to produce more and more stars.

Without hesitation, Denis Taylor winning 1985 World Snooker Championship on last ball of last frame.

...better still (as long as we can call Higgins Irish) the 1982 world championship semi final: Alex Higgins v Jimmy White; probably the best quality snooker ever on TV.

Munster being Champions of Europe...........twice :D :D

Michael Johnson on BBC said that Usain Bolt's performance in 100 metres eclipsed anything that MP has achieved. I agree.

Again what is the point in trying to belittle someones achievements in one sport by comparing them to another. Bolts performance was probably one of the greatest athletic performances of all time and it had me out of my seat. Phelps achievement is the greatest that swimming has ever seen and he also had me glued to the tv watching him. I enjoyed watching both enter the history books are count myself lucky that I was here to see them because they will still be talked about in 50 years time.

My greatest Irish sporting moments are usually the ones I was at in person. I witnessed Sonia winning silver in Sydney olympics and I will never forget that. I saw Munster win the first European Cup. I saw Clare hurlers win the All Ireland in 1995 after a 80 year wait. I saw Ireland batter England in a 1-1 draw in Wembley in 1991 and I saw Brian O Driscoll score his hatrick in Paris.

Just wish I could claim to be have there when Munster beat the All Blacks!!

Worst Irish sporting moment was the Lansdowne road riots and I know this will offend some people, Michelle Smith/De Bruin winning those medals

Ireland beating Pakistan at the Cricket World Cup last year. Given the amount of cricketers in Ireland versus that in Pakistan, the fact that Pakistan had to win or go out of the World Cup and the fact that the Umpires kept play going in appalling light to do everything they could to let Pakistan win amounts to the best for me.

Ireland beating Pakistan at the Cricket World Cup last year. Given the amount of cricketers in Ireland versus that in Pakistan, the fact that Pakistan had to win or go out of the World Cup and the fact that the Umpires kept play going in appalling light to do everything they could to let Pakistan win amounts to the best for me.

Most of the "Irish" team are Aussie , I think they qualify because they married Irish women and have lived here for over 5 years! A bit like the Italia 90 soccer team;)

Most of the "Irish" team are Aussie , I think they qualify because they married Irish women and have lived here for over 5 years! A bit like the Italia 90 soccer team;)

Thats a bit harsh. There were I think 4 people who weren't born here. England had at least 3 'foreign' born players in their team including our own Ed Joyce. Beating Pakistan was a great moment. I enjoyed that Paddy's day!

Back