Best iPod Home Speaker System

ImAsaver

I am just wondering what does everyone think is the best way to play songs from your iPod in the home. I am looking for a system with very good sound quality and would be handy to have clock + radio built in.

Is the Bose SoundDock any good? I know it doesnt have radio but Bose are generally supposed to produce pretty good sound quality, right?

I am looking for a system with very good sound quality and would be handy to have clock + radio built in.

Have you thought about an FM transmitter? It transmits your sound/music from the Ipod to any FM radio (car/room/alram clock radio) etc... Basically anything that can pick up an FM radio signal.
So you do not have to buy any new speakers, just juse your existing speakers on your home cinema system with built in fm tuner or in your car for example.
This doesnt cater for your clock but it saves you spending a fortune on new speakers that you will have to carry around with your ipod. Plus it gives you added mobility. They work anywhere there is an fm radio. go to a party in your friends house, tune it into his top of the range new stereo system & play your music selection.
An example is the following at pixmania but you can pick them up from argos, komplett.ie, ebay & lots of other places.

Radio for your ipod: This will recieve your radio for you. Maybe you can get both of these functions in the one device??

I bought the Logitech Audiostation recently for my 30gb Ipod. Great system - has radio, clock, fits all ipods and the sound is great. So IMHO it beats the bose sounddock hands down. Not cheap at €300 but well worth it. Available from the Apple website:

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Have you thought about an FM transmitter? It transmits your sound/music from the Ipod to any FM radio (car/room/alram clock radio) ??

I have the Xtreme FM transmitter for use in my car which is fine. But sound quality is not brilliant - doesnt produce proper L-R mix of sound.

I would prefer a docking system as this runs iPod of mains power rather than running down the battery.

Logitech Audiostation sounds good. One thing I've always wondered is what spec should I be looking for. Below is quoted for the Logitech system. Is this any good???

Performance
Power: 80W RMS
Max SPL: 110 dB
Frequency Response: 36Hz-23kHz +/- 3dB

from [broken link removed]

What is RMS, SPL Frequency response??

What is RMS, SPL Frequency response??
AC power, which includes audio power, is best measured as an average power, commonly called "watts RMS".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

Some slightly more indept (criticism) detail here.

Sound pressure level (SPL) or sound level Lp is a logarithmic measure of the rms pressure (force/area) of a particular noise relative to a reference noise source. It is usually measured in decibels (dB (SPL), dBSPL, or dBSPL).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level

Whether either of those help you understand what either are is a different story.

If your looking for an ipod docking station with the best possible sound then the logitech one mentioned above seems the way to go.

sounds good alright.
and i've found it on komplett.ie for €219 (232.50 including GLS delivery)

[broken link removed]

Thats a real good price on Komplett, they are over €304 on Pixmania. Its amazing to see how Komplett is so much cheaper on certain product lines & Pixmania is so much cheaper on other product lines. It's all good for us tho!! A price war between the 2 would be great