Health Insurance Best health insurance policy for couple in their 60s

Anitap

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. My parents have asked me to look into health insurance for them. They have never had it and want a good value policy that will cover all the basics. I've started looking into it and it is mind boggling, I just don't know where to start!

If they never had health insurance before theres a 2% loading for every year of age over 34.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. My parents have asked me to look into health insurance for them. They have never had it and want a good value policy that will cover all the basics. I've started looking into it and it is mind boggling, I just don't know where to start!

Hi Anitap,

The first thing to consider is Rosjohn's point re the age loading for people taking out private health insurance for the first time.

The next thing to do is look at needs of your parents.

Here are some questions to consider.

Do either of your parents have underlying health issues?

Are replacement hip or knees an issue for either of them?

What part of the country do they live in?

Have they a preference for particular hospitals?

Have they got medical cards?

Do they incur everyday medical expenses? GP visits, physio or the like?

Do they have a preference for a private room?

Are they willing to take on an excess for private hospitals?

I am sure there other questions, however, the answers to these questions will form a profile for the type of plan that will suit your parents.

This profile will considerably narrow down the process of identifying plans suitable to your parents needs.

I hope this is helpful

Back