Best Gear for the Gym

MANTO

Hi Folks,

Joining the Gym in a few weeks and was wondering if anybody has recommendations for the best / most comfortable Gear (for men but feel free to make recommendations for women too).

Also, whats neccesity and whats optional / nice to have?

I have a feeling i may be spending a few bob on new gear / runners.

Thanks in advance.

I find all Nike dri fit stuff is best.
Washes well haha and is comfortable.
You will prob need 2 shorts, 2 t shirts, runners, towel, bag.

tecnopile stuff is great, cotton t-shirts get wet too soon. also gloves when doing weights

Before you go and spend a fortune, just get some basic stuff and see if you enjoy the gym. No point buying expensive stuff that will gather dust in a few weeks.

Aldi and Lidl have a couple of special days each year. Keep an eye out, the Aldi socks are especially good.

I agree on the Nike drifit stuff for ends and the fit of them is good as well, i bought running ends from lidl and they just sat wrong on me for some reason.

for t-shirts just go to pennys and get some light ones

2 of all clothing items so you can interchange/wash if you go to the gym every day.
Same with towels if they are not supplied.
A water bottle. Mp3 player/headphones. Shaving kit/deodorant/Comb.
Depending on what kind of stress/and how much you use runners it may be useful to have a 2nd pair to allow you to switch and 'rest' a pair every 2nd day.

Deffinitely go for the technical fabrics for tops, Nike Dri-fit, Adidas ClimaCool, Columbia Omni-Dry. They'll allow your skin to breath much better and will not trap heat/sweat the same way cheap cotton shirts will.

Small towel to bring in to the gym with you to wipe yourself/ machines down after use.

Flip-flops for the shower as well. Hygenic, but will prevent you slipping and breaking your neck!

Good runners are the main thing i would spend money on, and you don't have to spend a fortune, i find asics very good.

Why would anyone want to be stuck indoors in a gym in this weather?

Not sure I would call 1 hour every second day stuck indoors!

Loose t-shirt, shorts, decent trainers. Don't wear gloves if you're lifting weights... let your hands toughen up.

You don't want to look like an idiot joining a new gym with serious kit. Decent runners, old t-shirt and shorts. Go from there and build up your gear gradually. Word of warning though I've been in a gym for 3 years and for the last 18 months the gym has been packed every day. I've got to the stage where I've bought my own weights and will buy a cross trainer in Oct when my membership is up. It's in one of the bigger gyms so just be warned!!

Thanks for all the input folks,

Norfbank, I practiced karate for 10 years so i have the dicipline to attend, I wouldnt pay the fee and not go

NickyK, you actualy made my mind up, I'm not overweight but you are right, I dont want to walk in looking like a 'pro' but looking like a fool

I will get bits and bobs along the way, but i appreciate the tips on the actual brands from all.

Going to look at the Nike Dri-Fit Range.

Complainer - Do you have some kind of secret? Or are you being your usual awkward self - Do you know parts of Ireland that are sunny all year round? Doubt It!!!

No worries.

What you should buy will depend on what you are using gym for.
If you are not going to be using the treadmill a lot then no point splashing out on top of the range shoes.

If you are going to be mostly running then I would suggest getting your gait analysed and getting proper runners. The treadmill can play havoc with your natural running style, the repetitions mean you only put certain muscles under strain unlike running outside where your style changes depending on terrain and gradient.

As I said Aldi and Lidl stuff is fine for starting out but if you want top quality stuff have a look at the Pearl Izumi range, their t shirts are the business.

This place is a bit of a sweetshop..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
or if you want to support an Irish business
http://www.sub4.ie

Complainer - Do you have some kind of secret? Or are you being your usual awkward self - Do you know parts of Ireland that are sunny all year round? Doubt It!!!
Just my awkward self, I'm afraid. I can understand people going for the pool, and I can understand people going on cold winter days. But I just can't understand why anyone would want to run indoors on a treadmill on a day like today instead of running round their local park or beach.