Best Free webserver ?

S

Silvera

Hi,

Can anybody recommend the best free webhosting to use as I wish to set up a personal transport-related website ?

I wish to use a service with no-pop up ads, a guestbook, a counter service and a forum facility - oh and most importantly, plenty of space for a pictures gallery ! :)

I am currently considering 'geocities.com'.

Also, how do I prevent an email address I would display on such a site being bombarded with spam - or worse still infecting my computer with viruses ?

(I currently have AVG virus protection and Sygate Personal Firewall (free versions) on my computer).

Cheers,

Silvera.

I've found tripod.com pretty good in the past - minimal costs ($5 per month iirc) and reliable service.

spam

how do I prevent an email address I would display on such a site being bombarded with spam - or worse still infecting my computer with viruses ?

Best way to do so is, don't write your address like xyz@hotmail.com but xyz AT hotmail DOT com.

Re: spam

You could probably bet at this stage that any engines which hunt for email addresses also handle the more common email mangling attempts. One way around it is to provide a form-based method for contacting you.

Re: spam

Best way to do so is, don't write your address like xyz@hotmail.com but xyz AT hotmail DOT com.

Or create a JPEG/GIF graphic of your email address and upload that to your site rather than putting a text version (actual or obfuscated as above) of your email address up. People will have to type your address in manually but it will protect against automated harvesting of the address from your site by spammers.

Back