kiwijbob

Hi,

I'm a bit rough on the motors I've owned, I really hate little 2
door sports cars and don't have the wad to afford the 4x4 - fuel
& road tax etc:eek:. now it's taken me a while but the best option
for me is the estate...eureka !! I'll keep it a good bit and I'm
not too concerned with resale value, I looking for a really
solid, reliable and not bad on the eye car, diesel
would be preferable and I'm looking in the <15K bracket.

cheers

He did say solid and reliable!

The Sportwagon is a fine looking car, but scores badly on space AFAIK.

CC (Alfalover)

P.S. I see the car is based in Kildare-you're not trying to flog an Alfa by any chance Tom ;) ?

This previous thread may be of interest

Best estate car

I have to say I like the look of the Laguna estate and they are 'cheap and plentiful' but when you look at recent threads, it's easy to see why. A colleague at work had problems trying to get rid of his recently and then some serious mechanical issues.

I'm on my second Avensis estate. I love estates, so much more versitile than saloons IMO. I had a 00 and traded up to the new model a 03 about 2 years ago. Older model had slightly more room in the boot but the new one is a much better car. Only problem is that Toyota only import the Estates in a standard Aura spec. So if you want nice levels of equipment you will need to go for a T4 from the UK. However, I dont think you will get a new model diesel within your budget.

So for me it would be an Avensis but I accept they are not everyones cup of tea.

A lightly used Mondeo Zetec TDCI is hard to beat on value and space.

It's also good to drive.

P.S. I see the car is based in Kildare-you're not trying to flog an Alfa by any chance Tom ;) ?
No, I'm keeping the Alfa. But I'll be putting the 5 series on the classifieds next week if anyone is interested?

I'm on my second Avensis estate. I love estates, so much more versitile than saloons IMO. I had a 00 and traded up to the new model a 03 about 2 years ago. Older model had slightly more room in the boot but the new one is a much better car. Only problem is that Toyota only import the Estates in a standard Aura spec. So if you want nice levels of equipment you will need to go for a T4 from the UK. However, I dont think you will get a new model diesel within your budget.

So for me it would be an Avensis but I accept they are not everyones cup of tea.
I actually like the look of the Avensis estate. As estates go, it is probably one of the better looking ones along with the A4, Saab 9-3 and Mazda 6. You can pick up T3-X & T3-S specs up north for good money. For extra luxury the T4 Spirit has everything you want but is only available in the 2.2D which was releeased in '05 so gonna be expensive. One thing I would say about estates is to buy a diesel. They are very hard to shift on in petrol. I was this close to buying an Avensis estate last week but to get a decent spec diesel one in the UK it was out of my price range by about €5k. Ended up finding a '05 2.0D Sol Corolla Verso for the missus instead.

Honda Accord 2.2Dci Tourer! Best engine by far and good looking, also its huge inside!

Back