best digital camera for less than E300

nbc

Hi,
A lot of the posts here seem quite technical. I would like to know if any of you can suggest a camera thats pretty good for the price. Only critical things are that it's from a reputable company and takes video with sound as well as pics. Someone suggested fuji?
many thanks
nbc

I'm always recommending the Exilim series, after my mam got one a few years back i've since bought one for five other relatives, all are delighted with it and report no trouble. Excellent screen, great photo quality and the price is very reasonable too. It's also worth spending an extra €54 to get the Casio case and a 1GB memory card.

I'd go to PIXMANIA and buy a Sony

see

Any of them will do

I'd go for the Cyber-shot DSC-W100 @ €301.

THe T9 is a very neat camera as well.

No connection to pixmania or Sony.

Since you mention Fuji, 's a possibility for €274 + €10 delivery. Very few good cameras under €300 with a 5x optical zoom...

hasn't quite as good a spec but is slightly cheaper (at €240 + delivery) and ultra-compact, yet has a big 3" LCD screen which might appeal..?

www.dpreview.com is a very handy resource for reviews, side-by-side comparisons, etc.

I'd go for a Canon or a Nikkon myself. Try Pixmania.com or Komplett.ie.

Why don't you do some window shopping around town - have a look at the models and the features - find out what you are looking for e.g.:
  • a good brand
  • good size, weight, feel in the hand
  • ease of use, features
  • max image quality (megapixels)
  • quality of lens - most of them have 3 x optical zoom - Shutter and startup speed - more recent cameras start up more quickly and can take pictures more quickly - older ones are slow to respond
  • size of LCD
  • type of memory card used (may or may not be an issue but I personally prefer SD cards; if you have a lot of Sony kit, the Sony Memory Stick might be useful)
  • type of battery (you want either AA / rechargeable which I personally prefer because you can always buy normal batteries if you run out of power abroad; although you may prefer longer-life Lithium rechargeable batteries which require a dedicated charger)
  • PC or Mac support, etc. etc.
And then buy online unless you see a really good deal around town. Never buy the first time you see something - leave the shop and check out prices elsewher and online. Bear in mind that if the saving is small, you might be better buying from a shop as it is easier and cheaper to return if you need to i.e. no international postage to worry about (Pixmania).

Any of the Canon Powershot range are an extremely good choice,really easy to use,loads of features,take standard pencil batteries etc.

This is a link to a Casio EXILIM EXZ110 6.0 Million Pixel Camera. It is a factory refurbished product with a free 512 mb card. The blurb says "it is as new with a 12 month warranty".
http://www.casioextra.co.uk/products.asp?category=15&action=ShowProdlist&Section=Offer
It works out at about 140 euro including delivery. I have no links to the company, just came across the site and thought it was a reasonably good price. It seems to do video with sound. The camera gets quite good user reviews on www.dpreview.com

http://www.casioextra.co.uk/product...5&subcategory=&subsubcategory=&ProductID=1976

Any of the Canon Powershot range are an extremely good choice,really easy to use,loads of features,take standard pencil batteries etc.
I'd agree with this recommendation. Have a PowerShot A520 for a while now and while it's not the slimmest of devices it is excellent for both snapping and for more advanced use.