Best deal for phone and broadband

Carmel

I recently moved into a new house in Firhouse and want to get a phone line and broadband installed. I am looking for advice on the best deals available.

For instance if I went with the Smart Telecom free line rental offer with broadband, would I have to use Smart for my phone calls and what are their rates like?

Do I have to go to Eircom to get the phone line installed in the first place?

I'm a bit confused about whether there has to be a link between who you pay for phone calls and who you pay for broadband?

Any tips / advice??

Thanks

Carmel

I'd say you'd have to go to Eircom first to get the line started up, then move if you wanted to.

Smart Telecom seem to be having problems getting people enabled.

Best deal at the moment seams to be the EsatBt offer.

Firhouse - NTL broadband is available in this area - but to get it you also have to subscribe to their tv service. The basic broadband service with NTL is Eur25 a month.

Of course you could go with NTL broadband , and get a landline number from the likes of www.blueface.ie - it's a phoneline over internet connection so you keep your modem on all the time and get a dublin local number - only difference is you never need to pay line rental. Search for blueface in these forums and you'll see more - you are in the "lucky" situation of not having got a landline yet so you could try it out without worrying about ditching your eircom line...

coming from dub.24. Id highly recommend the the NTL BB, and blueface/skype/babble route for calls. You only need the NTL 1mb 25e package. I make calls with babble after opening an account with them, never more then 3-4e a month, thats to landlines only (worldwide I might add).

Theres various methods of reducing mobile calls, use 087 for 087 calls etc, get a ready to go 086 for o2 calls, phone a friend for free etc. Theres a bit of work setting everything up, but once you do, youre sorted.

Thanks for that, very interesting. We already have NTL cable, so I will look into it.

Thanks again

Carmel

Back