Best credit card

G

geegee

Which is the best credit card? I pay my bill off in full each month and currently have an Ulster Bank CC. They only have a Dublin 01 helpline (long distance for me) and will still charge a cash advance fee even if the account has been "loaded".

Thanks for the link, sueellen, but it does not answer my question. I am unconcerned about interst rates as I don't pay any; it is user-friendliness I am thinking of.

What specifically do you mean by user friendliness? I too always clear my CC bill on time each month and happen to use a PTSB VISA which has the advantage of charging 1.75% forex commission and no other charges for cash wothdrawals where the account is preloaded. Other card providers charge higher forex commissions and/or other charges. This Indo article (free registration required) might be of interest in relation to using a CC for access to foreign currencies when abroad.

www.unison.ie/business/pe...si=1179466

The mystery poster strikes again ! ;)

Who is this masked (wo)man ?

Hi

Depending on what your after, I find MBNA have a very good customer service, offering 24-hour freephone service.

I've previously looked at various plastic offerings & found the cards offering the best returns for those of us clearing our balances each month but using the cards regularly, are some of the reward cards on offer from the likes of Tesco Visa or Pigsback.com

- mind you, Tesco Visa don't offer good Customer Service imho, while Pigsback.com's card is managed through MBNA, so again, you can expect a good level of service.

Amex Blue offers cash back (think it's 1% of all transactions) which can be nice, but less retailers accept Amex than accept either VISA or Mastercard.

I guess it depends on what specifically you use your card for, how often & what you consider your top requirements from a card provider.

Hope this helps

Regards

G>
www.Rpoints.com/newbie

Credit Card

Hi,
Does anyone know why credit cards in Ireland dont offer coverage for Motor Insurance when you hire a car? I rang AIB because I have a card with them and they never heard of it. However a friend of mine visits Ireland from the US on occasion and she had coverage on her card for Insurance when she hires a car. Saves her about €200 on hire. I am going to the states soon and I have to pay the insurance as I cannot get coverage this way.

Thanks

Paul

Re: Credit Card

Can you be more specific about what type of insurance you mean? Normally, when you hire a car, the minimum legal insurance required is included in the hire price. However, the car hire companies will often attempt to upsell you additional insurance for personal accident cover, cover for excess in case of accident, legal fees cover etc.

Credit Card

Hi rainyday,
Have a look at this and you will see what I mean. I cannot find any reference to this on any documentation I have. I wonder are we second class citizens...?

[broken link removed]

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Credit Card

Hi Paul - Your link is to a 'platinum' card, which is generally a 'top of the range' card. if you look at the benefits for [broken link removed], you'll see it does offer other benefits (like travel insurance).

So yes, we don't get all the benefits available in the US, but I guess this applies to many financial products. We operate in a different market, different regulations, different market economics etc.

Credit Card

Hi Rainyday,
I agree somewhat with what your saying, and yes it is a Platinum card, but at the same time an American with such a card can hire a car at approx € 200 less than I can simply because such a benefit is not offered on our cards. That means that If I visit the states lets say twice this year, insurance for CDW will cost me €400 that could otherwise be saved. I think it is a great benefit to have on the card and I have no idea why its not offered here to BOI Platinum holders, or other Platinum holders. I do really think its another case of us loosing out on benefits that we could be having.

Paul

mystery poster

Gar,
I think if mystery poster wanted to remain a mystery, then he wouldnt have given us the hint of pointing us in the direction of PTSBs biggest advocate on AAM.

mystery poster

Eh? I just mentioned my PTSB card to illustrate the sort of charges that apply. The Indo article goes into more detail about charges applicable to other cards. I don't have any gauge of "user friendliness" however. No conspiracy here I'm afraid. Sorry to disappoint the paranoid of you out there... :\

I see that BOI have withdrawn travel insurance cover from their Gold card and below CC products. Not sure abotu platinum. I just got a letter in the post about it yesterday.

gold vs platinum

i've a gold MBNA card (your earnings don't actually have to be high for Visa gold) and they offered me a platinum. when i asked what would it benefit me to change they um'ed and er'ed, and eventually admitted there was *no* difference, just to impress others.

seems quite ridiculous to me.

Back