Best Cordless Handsets for New House

kfpg

Hi-

Just wondering what people would recommend for phones in a new house. Assume digital cordless are the way to go - would probably want two handsets downstairs and one upstairs. What are the best out there I know older analog cordless had poor clarity and crackling noise etc - are all digital free from this.
Are the ones Eircom sell as good quality and value as anything else??

Tks

I've gone through three sets of digital cordless phones, and recently picked the cheapest dect phone i saw in argos - i think i paid €44 for a bt studioline 1000 - go cheap you might be replacing it sooner than you think -the batteries don't seem last or the phone packs in.

I have an Eircom phone and really can't fault it at all. I got it on vikingdirect.ie last year and now the one year old tends to seek it out and say 'Hiya' a lot into it, it gets dogs abuse. But still goes strong. Like the speaker function on it. Here [broken link removed] is

Panasonic DECT, two handsets & chargers - biggest pain is when kids leave them around the house - can hear the phone ringing and can't find either of them! - worse still when they leave it in a neighbours house Good range though as neighbour is 4 houses down and phone still works!

The Eircom ones are made by Siemens, and pretty sturdy, as you'd expect. Philips and Panasonic are good brands, too...

Try and shop around for a model that allows you to make/take calls from the base unit - avoids all the AWOL handset frustrations!

If money is no object, then you should look at the Bang & Olufsen [broken link removed] (as popularised by Graham Norton).

What is the best Digital Cordless Phone with Answering Machine ?
Had a look around and the only place I can see which sells a range of phones are Argos

Also looking at some of the Digital phones in the Argos Catalogue they say they have an answering service but cannot see them? With the amnesiac memory that I have I need a Red Button to click at me and light up to say that you have one new message

Leaning towards Panasonic but there more expensive but then again you get what you pay for

Ta

Does anyone have a phone system to the following "spec":
- two mobile handsets with two base stations
- answering machine on one base station
- dialling through speakerphone available from both base stations
- speakerphone on both handsets
- answerphone accessible from handsets
- phonebook works across all handsets and base stations

I've looked into it in the likes of Argos catalogues and it seems quite difficult to tell what the various sets can and can't do.

As for batteries not lasting too long, Maplin Electronics stock a range of replacement batteries for many models. I picked up a new battery for an old Binatone analog phone, and its as good as new again.

My Panasonic meets all your requirements except "phonebook works across all handsets and base stations" - The phonebooks are specific to each handset, but I rarely use the phonebooks anyway, so that's a pretty minor inconvenience.

Ditto my [broken link removed](with an extra base and handset).

P.S. Sometimes he even lets me use it... BOOM! BOOM!

"P.S. Sometimes he even lets me use it... BOOM! BOOM! "

Definitely a case of too much sun Doc.

I picked up a €25 DECT set in Roches Stores. It's a BT Studio 1100. In my case, I look for the most inconvenient horrible phone so that it keeps down costs. I'm in the process of vetting VoIP (with Blueface over NTL broadband) using a Siemens Gigaset DECT set hooked up to my VoIP adapter. That's given about 3 years of niggle free service but the BT thing has been pretty good so far. I also operate a wireless LAN and a cheapo Aldi digi-sender in the same house. They get all get on pretty well.

I would have to row in behind Panasonic. We have had our set for the past three years and it has been ************************* despite being dropped, knocked and sat upon several times. It has an answering maching, caller display etc. Have never had any difficulty with battery life and it is small enough to be confused with a mobile.

I found that Argos have the best range and pretty competitive. Wouldn't touch a Philips or Binatone as I found the user interface on the former too confusing and the latter just don't last.

Ended up buying the Southwestern Bell Mx2204

Was looking at the Panasonic but felt it was a little bit expensive

Anyone got a Southwestern Bell phone seem ok fingers crossed etc

Any update on the Southwestern Bell - do you actually get 4 handsets as shown in the Argos picture?

I only got the one set as dont need that many phones
Not bad phone.
Only problem is you dont know if the answer machine is off or on unless you press the button. Only 5 ring tones some annoying. Quality is not bad as we have base upstairs but have phone sometimes out in the garden(during this warm spell) and quality still good. You can read messages from the handset and also from outside phone, have not tried that yet
Overall no problems with it

Sorry - my last post should have been more specific .
Is the €119 for one handset or four?
Tks