Best car for 2 babies and a dog

Runner1

Baby number 2 on the way in May, so will have 2 under 2...we also have a medium size dog (10KG).
Any advice for most suitable car? Would ideally like to have the dog in the boot in some sort of cage so possibly an Estate would be the best option.
Would be trading in a 6 year old Qashqai and putting an extra 8-10K towards the purchase.
Any insights or advice appreciated!

Similar situation, 2 young kids in car seats, and our solution was a Volkswagen Touran. Far from sexy, or cool, but utterly practical, and comparatively speaking, value for money as a result. You can fit both car seats in the back, plus mum / dad / granny to keep the peace, with enough space for all. There are 2 additional pop up seats in the boot complete with ISOFIX points, which are handy for occasional use, and which can take also adults, unlike any other 5+2 we tried. There's a cargo-net you can get to keep the dog in the boot too. The only downside I see is the current generation came out in mid-late 2015 which might be stretch budget-wise. Earlier generations I'm less familiar with, but share the same DNA and may also suit. Good luck with your search and with #2.

Irish Touran Review
UK Touran Review + additional Practicality Review

Just a note to this post. I was pulled over by a garda a few months ago for having an unrestrained dog in the back of the car. A small Scottish terrier and I was let off without a ticket on that occasion.

Just a note to this post. I was pulled over by a garda a few months ago for having an unrestrained dog in the back of the car. A small Scottish terrier and I was let off without a ticket on that occasion.

Yes dogs can be a distraction and a heavy missile if they are thrown around during an accident. We use this universal Argos dog guard and find it grand. In some cars it can rattle a little but this can be overcome by securing with cable ties:

You can buy extensions for dog-collars or harnesses that plug into the fixed part of the car seat-belt. For smaller dogs consider a little cage/carrier that can fit in a foot-well.

I have a 4 kg terrierest and her 45kg Rottie brother and both a very happy with the arrangements above.

On the broader question, I was going to suggest a SUV type as the higher rear-seating positions mean there is less strain or potential damage to adult backs lifting chairs and babies in and out. For the same reason, I was going to suggest a car with a boot door that opens on hinges to the side, rather than flipping up like a H/B, with the added advantage of a flat load area.

Hope all goes well and happy car shopping. Off the top of my head, the Suzuki Grand Vitara is an example of the kind of car I mean.

Back