BER certs / higher prices for SEI grants

rockofages

I notice some places are charging a lot more (nearly double) for BER certs when being done for the purposes of getting SEI grants.

Is there more work involved, or is this price gouging because the cert itself is grant aided?

I thought a BER cert was a BER cert.

The BER registered certifier does not need to know the purpose of carrying out the inspection. Question is not asked - we recently had one done for my mother's house and no mention of SEI grants was made. Don't ever offer information you're not asked for

No price gouging there.
€100 is the lowest price I've seen.

When they came out first there were huge rip-offs on prices.
I am embarrassed to think what one client paid for a BER cert looking at current prices, but there was silly money paid out then.
The suggested cost back in 2008-2009 was somewhere around €400-600 with €350 being considered a good price, but you get what you pay for.

Given that a report has to be issued and transportation and professional indemnity cover maintained, I don't see that a €100 fee covers the cost of -

- taking instruction
- attending
- inspecting
- measuring
- calculations
- making the report.

Unless of course BER Assessors are just doing walk through inspections and no calculations.
In that case €100 would seem a reasonable price to pay, but is this a proper report?

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

+1 gocall01

Estate agents seem to be treating this requirement in a cavalier fashion.
I had to repeatedly request a BER Cert from one such recently over a period of two weeks.

While it is only required for sale or let, it is advisable to get it when upgrading works regarding increased insulation or using ew ambient energy sources are undertaken.
The Cert lasts for ten years, assuming everything stays equal and if you talk to the BER Assessor BEFORE you undertake the work, you can undertake more appropriate improvements.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

I use two BER assessors most weeks and they charge €165 plus VAT (€200 including) and the other charges €165 but he is not VAT registered. They both spend hours measuring, photographing, etc. and give very comprehensive reports. I have used a €99 assessor once before but never again (in and out in 20 minutes with a generic report).

You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the up-to-date comments Shane.

Any chance you might post some more information on them?

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Well I'm delighted the price has come down for a worthless bit of paper. Should I ever have to get them, I'll not need the BER accessor to even visit the property, as I'll just be wanting one with my name, property address and Z rating or whatever it requires to comply with the form filling. Nor should I be purchase will I ever rely on one paid for by the vendor.

No price gouging there.
€100 is the lowest price I've seen.
There was price gouging as the €100 in my original post was a "premium" for doing the SEAI paperwork, on top of the ordinary BER cost.

Turns out this varies widely and I got two certs done since then. One was €200 and it was an in and out job. The second was far more comprehensive and it was €115, and included the SEAI work for that.

Hi ONQ, what type of information are you looking for?

Contact names and numbers.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Many thanks Shane - you cannot have too many contact names for competent persons.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]