benefits of irish citizenship

Kalada

Hi all,

I'm an European citizen already however I've just wondering what benefits would I get becoming an irish citizen. I believe all the fundamental rights of irish citizens are granted with the exemption of being able to vote and run for office in Ireland

Would I lose my home citizenship? Is there any other benefit?

Thanks

Ireland allows you to hold dual citizenship, so the Irish authorities wouldn't cause you to lose your current citizenship. Different countries have different rules, so you'd need to see what the rules are of your home country regarding dual citizenship.

Hi all,

I'm an European citizen already however I've just wondering what benefits would I get becoming an irish citizen. I believe all the fundamental rights of irish citizens are granted with the exemption of being able to vote and run for office in Ireland

Would I lose my home citizenship? Is there any other benefit?

Thanks

You're entitled to vote in European and local elections as an EU citizen here. Irish citizenship entitles you to vote in National elections and Referendums.

Other than that, rights and entitlements should pretty much be the same.

As seagull said, being able to keep your home citizenship will depend on your home country law rather than Irish law.

Thanks!

Are there any benefits of travelling/relocating to USA as "irish"?

Compared to what country?
You haven't even said if you're an EU citizen.

First post states they are an EU citizen

Assuming that's accurate - Irish passports travel under the Visa Waiver Scheme. Most EU countries are also part of that scheme except (I think) Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania. This only applies to 90 day maximum in any one trip

Relocating is a whole other kettle of fish and I don't think an Irish passport has any advantage - it's the same process for the whole world - you'll need to qualify for a visa

Back